How much Orchard is a good choice for building on top an industrial tracking web application?

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General
Jan 10, 2012 at 10:10 AM

How much Orchard is a good choice for building on top (by modules or extensions without to reinvent or writing from zero a dashboard, a control panel and soon ) an industrial tracking web application?

Data Entry: Web forms or by Orchard Control Panel?

Form or data entry: there will be many actors ( as supervisor or operators ) and some data entry will made with scanners ( they'll send data via web services ) , but Which is the best, fast but maintenability, too? Back End or not... That is..I design a document type with some fields like barcode,data,mag1,mag2,etc...in the backend I've already a simple data entry , but it's not usable for industrial data entry...Is there some scaffolding for this or I need to build from scrath all forms?

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM

The question is, what do you want Orchard for? Have you tested it to see what it does?

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I wish from it...that is I wish to use it as base framework for building on top an industrial tracker...

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Ok, I wasn't quite sure from the wording of the OP.

In all honesty for something so focused, I would stick to pure MVC. You could build it certainly, but there won't be much in the way of existing modules that you can utilise, and you have no need for the vast majority of content management features. Orchard does some nice things letting you compose content types from a variety of pluggable parts, and the upcoming Projector feature is nice for making reports, but I think you'll actually create a lot of extra work trying to create a tight business logic focussed application from such a widely scoped framework. Just my opinion of course ;)

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:58 PM

So, Do you say to start MVC app from scratch? And It's possible to use pure Orchard without addons? So with Orchard I've already a tested MVC/NH framework and already build security/multiuser functions.

I agree with you that I don't need some Orchard's features.

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:20 PM

There are a certain number of Orchard's core features that have to be enabled, but you don't really have to surface them anywhere for people to see. But what's the point of using Orchard if you don't use its features?

You say you built security/multiuser functions ... how do these differ from Orchard's built-in functions?

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Sorry...I wrote wrong...I want to say that I want to use the Orchard out of the box functions so I don't need to write again like security, orm, etc functions and soon.

Has Orchard Web services features?

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM

"Web services" has a lot of meanings, do you mean specifically WCF, or just XML/JSON RESTful feeds that can be exposed extremely simply from any MVC application?

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM

The  XML/JSON RESTful feeds

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Ok well you don't need any special features to expose them, you can just create a controller in an MVC app and expose feeds from your actions. Create a model, serialize to XML or JSON.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Then? May be a right choice?

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:06 AM

My point is that you can do this from any MVC application, you don't really need Orchard unless you have a specific idea about how you are going to integrate with a content framework.

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM

My idea is to build a modular web application and to use Orchard because I've already with it the navigation and web pages content editor,user accounting and so. Each modules will execute a particolar function...

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:29 PM

How did this story end? Biapar, did you build your application on top of Orchard?