personal guidance help

Topics: General, Writing modules
Jan 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Edited Jan 9, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I write this as a precursor to my full question.

I am looking for some help in integrating an existing SQL DB utilising Orchard to maintain it.

Some of my questions will be whether to go the "whole hog" and create "orchard parts" for some of the existing entities, or whether to effectively build a seperate website as a widget. 

I am willing to pay for help in this instance and so am wondering if such a post is appropriate here (I can do so via oDesk or similar, but I am more assured of the skills being present here).[ I would be looking for someone to not only provide guidance, but perhaps some pair programming sessions, or simply produce code.]

or would my questions be insignificant and require simple answers here.

To this end I give a brief overview of the data and some of my thoughts:

The Data is from an athletics club (small country town club) and the data currently exists for Members / Races / Results. As a runner with a bent for programming I have been given the task of creating a website for them, I stumbled on orchard as a means of me not "reinventing the wheel".

A Race has many results, a sponsor, a location, RaceDirector(member)

A Result has a Member, a Race

A Member has results, a membership, a handicapGroup

Integration (i beleive) would mostly exist around adding a new race and then displaying results/races in some sorted/grouped means, but all these could be added as orchard parts...therein is my first question.

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:04 PM
Edited Jan 17, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Orchard will not necessarily be of much help with an existing database and may even hold you back a bit. It really all depends whether the site has other parts that would benefit from Orchard's content management features.

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I'm afraid I was given assistance in this project by an esteemed member of your community, who now finds themselves overwhelmed with work and refuses to reply to emails/questions or phone calls.

I urgently seek assistance in getting this project to a stage suitable for its release in a substantially diminished presentation, the very basic of functionality present.

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Edited Mar 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Hi Chocbudda,

Okay... integration is possible with an existing DB... but requires some extra let room... and also some additional stuff... Heres what I think you should do, (two ideas)

First Idea (integration with existing DB):

1. Install Orchard in to its own DB... I would not integrate Orchards DB with another DB.... Seperation of application responsibility.

2. Create a service layer around your existing DB...

3. Create Orchard parts/services to deal with your new service layer.

4. Site up and running, but remember you are not really using Orchards CMSpower because your data is in a different system.

Second Idea (Migration)

1. Install Orchard in to its own DB

2. Export data from existing DB.

3. Write an orchard import tool to get the data into Orchard (I can help with this if needs be)

4. Site up and running with full CMS stuff.

Hope this helps. Nick :)

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:48 PM

yes the second Idea expressed above is my intended route.

I have "recreated" or begun recreating the domain within the orchard infrastructure with the help of pete hurst, who's knowledge of just what should be a type/part etc was very helpful, but he has left me far too early.

I have abandoned the original database (for now) and will carry on creating the new entities in orchard until I am happy with them. Then I will look at your step 3 to convert/import the historical data.