spaces in tag names

Topics: General
Jan 7, 2012 at 9:07 PM

would it make sense for orchard to replace spaced in tag names with hyphens? currently the tags are showing up in the url with the ugly %20 where the spaces go. hyphens would definitely pretty the up.

example: http://www.bradymoritz.com/Tags/data%20historian

Coordinator
Jan 7, 2012 at 10:54 PM

You would need to add a slug to tags, which would be super-overkill. Actually you can get that exact feature with Taxonomies if that's important to you.

Jan 7, 2012 at 10:58 PM

hrm. it's not super important to me, just seems like something a decent cms would do. why have ugly tag names when we can have nice ones? sin the example link I gace, it shows up in search engine results with the %20 visible, and is a real eyesore.

Coordinator
Jan 7, 2012 at 11:09 PM

hrm. then use taxonomies instead.

Jan 7, 2012 at 11:14 PM

would you recommend i make this a feature request? in my opinion it would improve the quality of orchard to have this implemented for tags. And I'm all about improving orchard.

Coordinator
Jan 7, 2012 at 11:51 PM

well, it doesn't sound like such a great idea to me: there is a clear workaround which is to use taxonomies, or to put the dashes in there yourself, and making dashes and spaces be interchangeable would cause all sorts of problems. The queries would be considerably more complicated, and it may create conflicts on existing data.

If you really, really want that, but don't want to use taxonomies, maybe you should create your own module that modifies the existing tags module.

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:13 AM

My only concern is, out of the box, you're going to have urls showing up in google looking like this: (first result)

https://www.google.com/search?q=bradymoritz.com/tags/time-series-database

For me, I'll just change my tags to us hyphens for now (like stackoverflow forces you to do)

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM

It should be super easy with Alias to slugify and alias the Tag routes.

Coordinator
Jan 9, 2012 at 6:21 AM

True. Good point.