writing content part

Topics: Administration, General, Writing modules
Jan 3, 2012 at 7:26 PM

writing my first content module:

according to the Orchard documentation I like to implement the 'map' sample. Early in this process the doc guides me to open the Orchard.sln file in VS2010.

My problem: I cannot find a .sln file altogether in my file structure!?

What am I missing here?

is the doc outdated?

Is there any other doc on how to write my first 'content' module?

PS: the code.generation is installed and enabled!? 

thanks for your time, ed

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Please use the full source code, not just the WebPI release. When you do, you'll find the solution in src.

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:21 AM
Edited Jan 5, 2012 at 2:03 PM

thanks. I downloaded/installed the src.

when I now start via webmatrix src/orchard.web I get error: Could not load type 'Orchard.Web.MvcApplication'.

Line 1:  <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.cs" Inherits="Orchard.Web.MvcApplication" Language="C#" %>

in another thread I read: you need to have 'Orchard.Framework.dll' ! which I really cannot find!

? I just downloaded the src 1.3.10: why would I not have it ?

Attention, below are comments on my further testing... 'weard' thins are going on:

when I loaded orchard.sln (only once!) in VS2010 I get to the first screen to ad Name, PW etc (but I did not change). BUT; when going back to start via WebMatrix the above error is gone! I.e I can use the Dashboard: add pages, change content ...

However: it is very slow i.e. on each click my router/modem is flickering. It almost seems as my Aapp is running remotely ... weird! Very slow: after each click (e.g. changing from one page to the other or using the Dashboard : it always takes at least 10 seconds . The the webmatrix says 'localhost:12345'.

PS: on this src I opted to provide a sql express 'ConnectionString'; but have not used it at all. BUT the ConnectionString points to a remote server (some thousand miles away); in my old app I never have/had a performance issue!

I downloaded yesterday Orchard-1.3.10.zip (17MB)

Again some days later:

It seems, when working with src-version, that I need to do a BUILD (once) in VS2010 before I can open it via WebMatrix!

The performance issue: it seems, when giving a 'ConnectionString' which is not yet used, that Orchard is already doing something. In other words: without giving a ConnectionString Orchard runs ok!

Does any anybody have some explanation/advise!  

Thanks for your time and advise, ed

Coordinator
Jan 6, 2012 at 7:18 AM

I don't know where you found that connection string you gave it. Care to share?

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:31 PM

below the connection string I used (changed the sensitive info). This string is productively used in my old web site and runs ok. Don't bother (yet), I'm not really using it now .. I just thought I provide it to do further DB tests.

The more important question: (when) do I need to do 'BUILD' in Vs2010 in order to use my app via WebMatrix!?

connectionString="Data Source=s05.winhost.com;Initial Catalog=DB_12345_asgb;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=DB_12345_asgb_user;Password=xyz"

for now I consider this thread closed

thanks ed

"

Coordinator
Jan 6, 2012 at 3:38 PM
Edited Jan 6, 2012 at 3:39 PM

The answer to your important question is: never. :)

That is, unless you're using the full source code, in which case you should probably be using VS anyway...

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:54 AM

thanks for the clarification;

slowly I get familiar with Orchard .. like it ... thanks for the great work!

ed