Can Orchard manage other ASP.NET website?

Topics: General
Dec 29, 2011 at 1:06 PM

I'm wondering if Orchard CMS can manage other website like classic web form, mvc2 or mvc3 sites. If it can, is there any tutorial?  Any information will be highly appreciated.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:44 PM

The simple answer is yes, but how you'd do it and how easy it would be depends entirely on specifics. However you'll have a lot of difficulty getting classic webforms to work alongside Orchard, the simpler answer is to integrate your functionality as proper Orchard modules (and you can plug in any custom database access you might need, but from what I've seen it's not always easy).

Orchard itself is built on MVC3 so integrating any MVC2/MVC3 sites as modules won't generally be too hard. An Orchard module is just an MVC area with extra functionality.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Great thanks for your quick response.  Is there any tutorial/blog to demonstrate how to integrate MVC2/3 sites as module? I'm a newbie to Orchard.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Best place to start is the Build a Hello World module tutorial. That will show you how to create a module and how Orchard is simply built on MVC concepts. Then you can just create a new module and copy all your existing MVC code into it, and go from there.

There are further documentation topics on from which you can learn more. The real question is how you are performing data access; can you create new data models using Orchard's conventions, or is there an existing database you need to access?