Difficulties in Downloading and Installing Modules & Themes

Topics: General
Dec 27, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Best Wishes for All the Orchard Community!

Hi Any one Who May Redress my Problem!

1. I Downloaded more than half a dozen of Themes and Modules in a Folder of my Computer. But when I install any theme or module from my computer the  message is given that " The file is  damaged or corrupted".

2. When I Directly Install a theme or module from the Orchard Gallery, the message is given "Transaction is Timed out". What is meant by this  and what is the wayout?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Coordinator
Dec 27, 2011 at 9:54 PM

In the first case, it means that the file is damaged or corrupted, so you should try to download again. In the second case, it means the connection between your server and the gallery is bad or can't be established.

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Thank you for the reply.

1. I shall download the themes and modules again. But what can be the possible reason for this damage and corruption?

2. I am confused about the server in the WM environment. I think the Sql CE 4 is  in-built here. But what about IIS. What is the difference between both. Also when I switch the Orchard site to VS10 the message is given: "IIS 7.5 Express is  Invalid."  What  is  meant by  this?

3. How to establish a good connection beween the gallery and the server?

4. Also when I tried to install a theme from the orchard gallary the following response is given:

"There was an error installing the requested package. This can happen if the server does not have write access to the '~/Modules' or '~/Themes' folder of the web site. If the site is running in shared hosted environement, adding write access to these folders sometimes needs to be done manually through the Hoster control panel. Once Themes and Modules have been installed, it is recommended to remove write access to these folders."

What is the wayout?

Thanking in anticipation.

Coordinator
Dec 28, 2011 at 10:05 PM

1. Bad connection, cosmic rays, who knows? Connections are not perfect, and error correction does not always work.

2. Oh my, you may have some reading to do. IIS is the web server, SQLCE is the database engine. IIS is part of Windows. the http://iis.net can tell you more about it. I don't know what you mean by "switch the site to VS10".

3. You should already have one. Talk to your system engineer or internet service provider.

4. You need to give writing rights to these directories for the user under which the web server is running.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Thanks for replying my questons of elementary nature.

Regarding "switch the site to VS10". I mean:  When files of Orchard site are selected in WM, a button "Visual Studo" is seen  on the top bar, and WHEN I DOUBLE CLICK THIS BUTTON, I think all  files and folders of Orchard site are transfered to Visual Studio Environment.  After this transfer when I pressed F5 or F10 the message LIKE: "Invalid IIS Express 7.5" was given (in the lower part of the Window)  before this, BUT WHEN I EXPERIMENTED JUST NOW THE RESULT WAS NOT THE SAME BUT THE MESSAGE GIVEN IS: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".  

Especial Thanks for clarification about IIS & SQLCE.

Regarding "switch the site to VS10". I mean:  When files of Orchard site are selected in WM, a button "Visual Studo" is seen  on the top bar, and WHEN I DOUBLE CLICK THIS BUTTON, I think all  files and folders of Orchard site are transfered to Visual Studio Environment.  After this transfer when I pressed F5 or F10 the message LIKE: "Invalid IIS Express 7.5" was given (in the lower part of the Window)  before this, BUT WHEN I EXPERIMENTED JUST NOW THE RESULT WAS NOT THE SAME BUT THE MESSAGE GIVEN IS: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".  

Coordinator
Jan 6, 2012 at 6:27 AM

If you want to use Visual Studio (and you really only need to single-click), you should use the full source code. In any case, it seems like something is very wrong with your Visual Studio here and IIS Express is improperly installed, or VS, or both.