SMTP - Following MX Records?

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Installing Orchard, Writing modules
Dec 20, 2011 at 1:45 AM
Edited Dec 20, 2011 at 1:46 AM

I was working with the infrastructure team from a local company and they mentioned in email the following in reference to email notifications to uses when new posts come through:

"If the application can follow MX records, then that would be preferable. It can be used to make sure the message is relayed off to a system that will handle the message."

Frankly I got confused but then again, I've done basic smtp only.  I assume this is some queue or validation by certifying the sender (orchard instance in this case)?  Any ideas what he is talking about?

Semi off topic but since it's an orchard installation I'm working on, I figured I would ask here.

Coordinator
Dec 20, 2011 at 4:53 AM

Mmmh. No. Are you sure that guy knows what *he*'s talking about? What is the problem you are trying to fix?

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Normally you'll send an email off to SMTP, and any MX interaction would be performed by the SMTP server. I've never heard of an application doing this manually, it would be pretty technical and I couldn't see the gain.

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:32 PM
randompete wrote:

Normally you'll send an email off to SMTP, and any MX interaction would be performed by the SMTP server. I've never heard of an application doing this manually, it would be pretty technical and I couldn't see the gain.

Thanks for the response guys.  Based on the feedback here and elsewhere, it appears we were just a little bit confused.  I think what he wanted was to have the system monitor bounces and possibly react accordingly (nice thought but not a business requirement from the client).