Checkout the latest site to go live on Orchard 1.3

Topics: Announcements, General
Editor
Dec 16, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Just launched today!! http://www.dreamfarhsm.org A community service project me and my colleagues did using Orchard. Some highlights are:

1. Rotating Homepage Banner

2. Random Images and Quotes from list objects in the sidebars using alternates for list rendering.

3. Contact Us Module

4. Facebook OG Protocol

5. Favicon and Apple Touch Icon

6. Blog

Dec 16, 2011 at 7:27 PM

You might want to do some optimization because a total of 5.18MB of data had to be transferred in order to load the homepage of that site. Otherwise looks pretty good. 

In particular the images for your slide show are huge. 

Editor
Dec 16, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Alot of it is due to the large gallery images. (6 of them). I can set some cache expiration values on them. Also we have some videos and large background images. Open to suggestions besides caching expirations. The images should be optimized already.

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:13 PM
Edited Dec 16, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Presumably you need to use ImageResizer? There are two implementations available...

Edit: Ok I saw that the images are the correct size. It seemed strange because they took so long to load, despite not being huge (only 695x460!) Since they're photos, you should save them as jpegs instead of pngs, then they could each be ~100k instead of ~1mb. ImageResizer will still do this for you automatically ;)

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Agree with Randompete, images with those dimensions should not have file sizes that large. You should convert to jpeg and also consider running them through an image optimizer. If using Visual Studio you can use this extension to optimize from within your project: 

http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/a56eddd3-d79b-48ac-8c8f-2db06ade77c3/

Side note: perhaps there should be a module or built-in functionality within Orchard that optimizes images?

Dec 18, 2011 at 3:19 PM

As I said, there are two modules that integrate ImageResizing.net into Orchard. But the simple problem here is that those images are pngs, which compresses well for graphics with solid colour regions, but offers very little compression for high variance images such as photographs. If you convert them to jpegs with quality setting between 80-90 then they will be vastly smaller.

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Right, i was just throwing out the idea that there might be a feature in Orchard that allows a user to automatically convert and optimize an uploaded image. 

The editors I work with have no idea about image optimization and when they upload content into the CMS for our old site they sometimes do what arock3 did, and upload a format that is not optimal for the web. It would be nice for users like them at the time that they upload to be prompted with a dialog asking if they want to convert/optimize their uploaded images. 

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Yes it'd be nice to have it as an Orchard core feature, it would really depend on finding a library with a good enough feature set and the right license (there are problems with the license for ImageResizing.net). The integration I've done will automatically optimise any images managed thru my Media Garden module. It should be possible to adapt Znowman's integration to more automatically optimise the core Media module (I discussed some methods of doing this in Znowman's thread). Basically, this is something that requires community contribution if it's to happen any time soon.

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:36 AM

What license problems are you referring to? The ImageResizer and 18 plugins are under an MIT style license: http://imageresizing.net/licenses/freedom  MIT and New BSD are not incompatible. 

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2012 at 5:00 AM

MIT is more than fine: we already have a bunch of dependencies using it.

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Can't remember now what I was referring to; I think I might have got mixed up with your Trial license for the paid bundles. Sorry about that :)