New to Orchard with some questions

Topics: General
Dec 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I am rather new to Orchard and have some questions. We have a current ASP.Net site that I want to convert to Orchard. I have set up all the pages like I want but I am not sure how to put user-based data in those pages. Do I need to write modules or widgets to do that?

We communicate with an Oracle database using a web service. This is where all our data resides. I need to write the authorization to authenticate via the web service. Plus each page will have user specific information on it so I need to communicate with the web service.

Any ideas, or examples (hint, hint), on how to accomplish these tasks?

I am not sure how to modify the Orchard backend code I have been running everything through WebMatrix but have VS2008 installed. I can't find the Orchard solution file.

Also, how do I uninstall a module that I installed?

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2011 at 7:05 PM

It depends what you are trying to do. In many cases you'll find a module that does what you want, and in others you'll have to write your own.

Communicating with a web service should be no trouble at all. I do it in a few sites. It's just the same as you would do in any MVC application.

If you are going to do any serious module development, I would recommend cloning the directory instead of using the WebMatrix/WebPI download. You will get the full source code, you will be able to open the solution in VS, get IntelliSense, debugging, etc.

To uninstall a module, you can just delete its folder.