Building WebMatrix Orchard fails?

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting, Writing modules, Writing themes
Dec 11, 2011 at 8:48 PM

being that I was planning to be more of a theme and module developer rather than a Core Orchard developer, I decided to try downloading the WebMatrix version of Orchard.  This was to avoid the need to have 30mb worth of source files, slower builds, etc.

here is my thought process, issue:

1. WebMatrix is 6MB only.  That is nice and small
  2. I had to install the Code Generation (no big deal)
  3. I created a fake module using "codegen module MyTestModule /IncludeInSolution:true"
  4. Then I opened in Visual Studio using the button in WebMatrix
  5. Build solution fails...."Markdown.csproj isn't set to the instance of an object"

Then I tried again without doing anything and sure enough it fails to build with the same error.  What am I missing exactly?  Any tips for a soon to be module and theme writer to try and leverage the core of orchard but have the capability to create themes and build modules?

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:57 PM

To develop modules it's best to have the full source, for just themes you can probably get away without it (but could still be useful for debugging), you can just write modules in notepad but if you want VS to build then you need all the dependencies.

Besides, cloning the Mercurial repository means you have easy access to upcoming features so you can plan your module around them.

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Thanks Random Pete... so perhaps this gets into a bigger question...  I should really be deploying sites on the non source code and compiling the themes and modules to be installed on those deployable instances (and use multi-tenancy when appropriate)?