Proper Multi-Site Deployment from "custom" code base....

Topics: Administration, General, Installing Orchard
Dec 10, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Okay, I have downloaded the Orchard 1.3.9 source and have since then added into my project a number of what I would call "critical" modules from the gallery as well as a few of my own and effectively turned off some admin features I don't want them to have.  I'm prepared to launch the first real site based upon this "branch" (I know that isn't the right word) and I just wanted to understand what the proper process should be.  

Should I do a clean build then simply FTP deploy and then manually copy over the App_Data and Media folder (two folders that are custom to each website).  Then as I would upgrade the code source I can redeploy and it will just work?  Maybe I'm over thinking this but as I create and maintain various sites for people, my goal of course is to make sure that they are all on the same code base and that quarterly or so, I want to (with their permission) upgrade them to the next level.

Thanks for your assistance.

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Have you looked at Multitenancy? This allows you a single installation running multiple website instances.

The problem with asking your customers' permission to upgrade is that, with Multitenancy, you will have to upgrade everyone at once (it'd be possible to work around, but that would make things trickier).

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Thanks. I plan to use it when I'm self hosting them but in many cases they want it themselves or for the reason you describe, there are reasons to keep them separate.  Besides the concept of multitenancy....what is the best method to deploy and then long term control the App_Data and Media folders?