Render content in different Zone

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General, Troubleshooting, Writing modules
Dec 9, 2011 at 6:21 PM
I have created a custom Content Type that includes an Image Field. The designer wants the image to be rendered outside of the content zone and in the aside-left where other widgets are rendering. I'm not sure if creating a widget for this is the correct way to go as it is tightly coupled to the content. I also don't want to have the content authors to have to create a new widget & layer for every content item. Any ideas how to do this? As I understand the placement file only allows for placement to local zones. The content type is in a custom module in case that matters! Thanks :)
Dec 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM

This is all stuff I'm tackling with the Science Project and Media Garden modules. There's an old branch ("1.2 compatible") that you can do this with, although the latest work I've been doing should make it much, much easier (literally something like <Place ImageField-MyFieldName="AsideFirst:1;target=Layout" />) - unfortunately this version isn't quite work, although now everything's compiling again I can get most features up to speed by the middle of next week.

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:03 PM
Cheers Pete, that's exactly what I'm after, although it could be a bit tight as I need to go live the end of next week :-|
Is it much work to implement in my own module for now?
Thanks

This is all stuff I'm tackling with the Science Project and Media Garden modules. There's an old branch ("1.2 compatible") that you can do this with, although the latest work I've been doing should make it much, much easier (literally something like <Place ImageField-MyFieldName="AsideFirst:1;target=Layout" />) - unfortunately this version isn't quite work, although now everything's compiling again I can get most features up to speed by the middle of next week.