Publish Orchard site using filezilla

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
Dec 8, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Anyone have an idea how to publish an Orchard site using filezilla? I tried just copying my files over but I get 404.

Any special instructions on how to FTP a site for Orchard?

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Nothing special; probably another error (e.g. write permissions) - check the logs.

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2011 at 8:37 PM

I do it routinely on one of my sites that doesn't have web deploy. It works. In your case, a 404 could be something simple such as that you copied at the wrong level. What you want to send there is Orchard.Web (and if you don't want it to be too big, take care of building specifically for deployment: http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Building-and-deploying-Orchard-from-a-source-code-drop

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:42 PM

What I have done is installed orchard using Web Platform installer. Built the website, tried to publish through webmatrix but can't connect. Now I'm just trying to copy straight over using file zilla. The file copy successfully but I don't know if it's recognizing the homepage or what?  Do I need to make any changes in the web config? or Site setting? I'm not using Orchard enlistment or anything like that. I don't know where Orchard.Web would come into play for my situation. Just used the standard install from webmatrix. I'll look at your article.

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2011 at 9:01 PM

OK then. It should just work, unless the target doesn't have .net 4.0 configured or you missed files.

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Just to be clear. What I'm doing is navigating to my Orchard install folder, selecting all files and folders from App_Code down to Themes ect. dragging and dropping them onto the server via filezilla.

Do I have to enlist my orchard website into Orchard.Web in order to publish?

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Copying everything under your orchard folder to the root of your remote web site should just work.

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Gotcha. I'll check with my network admin.