Is Orchard a good fit for content contributions by web site users?

Topics: Core, Customizing Orchard, General
Dec 1, 2011 at 7:53 AM

I need to build a web site where users can register and contribute content items.

From the Orchard documentation I gather that users can contribute comments to pages, except in this project users would contribute not only comments but also pages (content items) so all registered users would be Orchard Authors (can author, publish and edit his own content items).

The content is very specific and would certainly require a new content type and module.

Does the security design implemented in Orchard allows these requirements?

Any warning, tips or tricks we should know about?

Coordinator
Dec 1, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Yes, but I would create specific permissions rather than give everyone author privileges.

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:40 PM

The main gotcha here is that all users will be transferred to the backend whenever they edit content, which isn't really what you want for a publicly editable website.

You can very simply alter the AdminController in Orchard.Core.Content and add the [Themed] attributes to the action methods (although at some point I'll have a module which lets you enable this by a setting).

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:46 AM
Edited Dec 5, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Yes it works very well. we built an community website with orchard and it runs very smooth with many test users. We'll make the website public very soon.