Orchard and Azure (performance issue)

Topics: Core, General, Installing Orchard
Nov 25, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Hi folks,

We are migrating our prodution site to azure, using the Orchard Azure solution. The problem is that our deployment to azure take around 18 s to load each page against the 821 ms.

Any idea whats happening?

ps: We have warm up and Cache modules enable

Thanks in advance

Alexandre Marreiros

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Our production address are http://hbraga.cloudapp.net/

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:04 PM

For me it's more like ~7.5s but still that's very slow. With Cache module enabled it should be practically instant. Are you saying that in a development environment it took 821ms even with Cache enabled? I suspect something in a custom or third party module might be causing a problem. Are you able to run database profiling to see what's hitting SQL?

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:11 PM

hi Pete

This is our onpremisses enviroment http://www.hospitaldebraga.com.pt/ as you can see here is very quick, this is a singleton machine (SQL + IIS 6). In this eviromwent we have more sites about 5 .

We never had made profiling in SQL azure, do you recommend some article or tool for that?

thanks in advance,

Alexandre Marreiros

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Yes, the development site is very quick. Unfortunately I don't have experience with Azure so I can't recommend anything. But can you connect SQL Server Profiler to an Azure database? Your best bet is google if not (unless anyone else here recommends anything of course!)

One thing to check, though, is how much RAM does your Azure instance allow?

Coordinator
Nov 25, 2011 at 8:54 PM

On Azure, you need to ensure the DB location and Hosted Web Roles are on the same location, like US North, or US Central, ... If they aren't, then the db queries latency is too high.

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:18 PM
Edited Dec 1, 2011 at 1:18 PM

alexmarreiros, did you resolve the issue with sebastien's advice?

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Hi there.

Sebastien advice didn't solve our issue. I am preparing from scratch a new deployment to see if we can pass this issue.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Thanks -- please keep us updated. Your experience will be helpful to others in the future.