Guidance

Topics: General, Writing modules
Nov 19, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Hi,

I have some experience with mvc3 but not with areas,

I am using Orchard to write a site that has 1-M relationships.

For sake of example lets say I have Customers with Ordets and Orders with LineItems,

I assume that I have to :

create a module, create models for Customer, Order, and LineItem 

Create a migration that creates the tables

Then i get a little unclear

Do I create a Widget  for each model?

Then do I put widgets on seperate pages, and somehow link to them. for example if im on the customer widget and want tot add an order.

Or do I create 1 widget that handles all 3 models like a mini website?

Am I trying to use Orchard for something it wasnt designed for?

Does anyone have a list of sites created with Orchard? It would be great to have a link on the orchard project site so that people could see the amazing things people are creating with this amazing tool

Thanks,

Rick

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:20 PM
Orchard is a framework you can do pretty much anything with once you understand the conventions and how best to apply the available tools. Also always look for existing modules that do what you need or at least something similar, you'll understand things much better by looking at examples. An ecommerce module is in the works, nothing decent I'm aware of yet tho.

I think you might not realise exactly what widgets do. Have you read the docs and tutorials on orchardproject.net? It's a good place to start. What you'll probably need for this kind of application is a combination of ContentParts, MVC views, and ordinary table records.

Sent from Mobile

RickHodder <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi,

I have some experience with mvc3 but not with areas,

I am using Orchard to write a site that has 1-M relationships.

For sake of example lets say I have Customers with Ordets and Orders with LineItems,

I assume that I have to :

create a module, create models for Customer, Order, and LineItem

Create a migration that creates the tables

Then i get a little unclear

Do I create a Widget for each model?

Then do I put widgets on seperate pages, and somehow link to them. for example if im on the customer widget and want tot add an order.

Or do I create 1 widget that handles all 3 models like a mini website?

Am I trying to use Orchard for something it wasnt designed for?

Does anyone have a list of sites created with Orchard? It would be great to have a link on the orchard project site so that people could see the amazing things people are creating with this amazing tool

Thanks,

Rick