Markdown improvements

Topics: General
Nov 18, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Hi,

First off, just want to say that I'm loving Orchard.  It's fun to use, gives great results, and is very interesting technically and architecturally.

Also I'm loving using Markdown.  It's just great for "writing the web".

May I make some suggestions for improvements to the Markdown support?  Apologies if these have been noted elsewhere (I did search).  I'm using Markdown with the Contoso theme, btw.

1. Clicking on the "?" button on the right (Markdown Editing Help) doesn't do anything.
  2. Clicking to insert a hyperlink brings up a dialog box that's transparent, so its contents merge into the underlying text, making it difficult to use.
  3. Two or more spaces at the end of a line don't insert a br tag.
  4. Previewing of code samples is a bit weird and wonky.
  5. Published code samples aren't syntax-colored.

To see all the above working nicely (really nicely) just look at StackOverflow.  How they do my point #5 is especially impressive.  Can you get hold of that code?!

I feel that any time spent making improvements to the point-of-text-entry in a CMS is time really well spent, because it's such a core activity.

Thanks.

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Your other points sound like legitimate bugs, however I'd suggest that Syntax Highlighting should be a separate (community contributed) add-on module, as I suspect it is in Stack Overflow, as there are various excellent syntax highlighters that folks might want to integrate.

Nov 18, 2011 at 4:29 PM
Edited Nov 18, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Yes.  I've now raised the first four in a new Issue.