I need to build an admin interface into my existing asp.net forms site.

Topics: Administration, Core, Customizing Orchard, General
Nov 15, 2011 at 11:29 PM

I have built a website using ASP.NET 4.0 forms. It also uses SQL Server 2008. It all runs on Windows Server 2008 R2 w/ IIS 7.5.

I would like to build an interface where users can log in and edit some (but not all) of the website content. I need them also to be able to add records into the database, and also edit records. I would like to not have to write all of the code for this myself. I am looking for something that is already built, that I can customize to my needs. I would like to install this solution as perhaps a separate site on my IIS server. 

My question is: Is this project going to work for my needs? I need a little help choosing a solution, and help to get started. 

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2011 at 11:31 PM
Edited Nov 15, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Probably not: you are using WebForms apparently, wehreas Orchard is built on MVC.

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:47 PM

I was of the understanding that MVC and WebForms could be integrated. Not on the same site, but as seperate applications on an IIS server. 

I would actually like to have the opportunity to get some experience with MVC.

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Then I didn't really understand what level of integration you were expecting. If you just want to build an admin UI for an existing database, I'm not sure Orchard can help much.