Submenus

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General, Troubleshooting
Nov 13, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Could anybody create a document on how to create submenus on the contoso theme?

What I've done so far:

Modules:
I've installed the advanced menu module.

Widgets:
on the default layer I have added two menu widgets under the navigation section. One called MainMenu and the other one SubMenu. (and removed the other widgets that were there).
(this already destroyed the contoso layout)

The main menu has: "AllItems" Limit levels: 1 and "Cut lower levels?": true
The submenu has the same settings.

I've created some pages:
Menu
Products
Products1
Products2

in Navigation section > Manage menu:
I've did this:
Home 0 /
SubItem 0.1
Products 1 Products
Product1 1.1 Product1
Products2 1.2 product2

Now when I visit my site and I switch between Home and Products, I see that my submenu items in the second menu bar change, depending on what I selected in the MainMenu bar.
But When I click on Products and for example choose Products1 then my submenu is gone.

How can this be avoided or how do you create proper submenus for pages?

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2011 at 9:25 PM

There are currently a couple of menu modules on the gallery: http://orchardproject.net/gallery/List/Search?packageType=Modules&searchTerm=menu

Try Better Menu and Advanced Menu which are the most popular. There is also a widget in taxonomy to represent hierarchies of categories as menu. Very handy to classify content.

I also think some more advanced menu capabilities should be there by default in Orchard. Maybe something we''ll consider for next version. 

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Ok that's not the quest :/

Actually some themes are not adapted for sub menus. Maybe we should include some guidance for that in the documentation. I know any Wordpress document handles them, we should too. The lack of a default hierarchical menu by default might make things worse. If you happen to be able to make a contribution to Contoso, or find someone who'd like too, I am sure we can contact the author to update it.

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:24 PM

All that i wanted to do was creating a submenu in the Contoso theme.

But for some reason my submenu items are visible, but when I click one they seem to have gone.

could you imagine that a user clicks on the menu item Products and he sees the submenu items Prod1 and Prod2 on e.g. the sidebar, or below the mainnavbar (could be placed anywhere, because it is in a seperate widget). Now when the user clicks on Prod1 or Prod2 to get more info from the product, the submenu items are gone. He cannot navigate to another product.

and this is excactly the problem that i have.

So how do i use the Contoso the to show only the first level nodes (0 , 1 , 2 , ..) in that mainnavbar, and showing the second level nodes (1.1 , 1.2 , 2.1 ,...) on the right side of the maincontent section + when i click e.g. on item 1.2 that i still see items 1.1 and 1.2. (that last part doesn't work here)

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2011 at 10:41 PM

What menu module are you using?

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Hi bertrandleroy,

I'm using the contoso theme and I have tried the Advanced Menu module:

http://www.orchardproject.net/gallery/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Szmyd.Orchard.Modules.Menu

Here you can find some screenshots when I was busy experimenting with that submenu issue:

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=CB15F1A932B364BE&id=CB15F1A932B364BE%211720 

Kind regards.

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2011 at 5:27 PM

You should contact Piotr, the author of advanced menu, then.