insert videos

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
Nov 10, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Hello there! I'm new in Orchard, I'm trying to create my first site with it. I'd like to insert a video in a page but I can't do it. Have I need to take some modules? Which ones? I can upload a .mp4 video in my media folder; how can I see it in my site page?

Thank you for your help

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Yes, you need an additional module to play video. There are a few on the Orchard gallery but the one I've written is MediaGarden, it's a bit more complicated to set up than some but gives you a lot more options (it's designed to handle a lot more than just video). You'll want the latest source code from http://orchardmediagarden.codeplex.com as well as the support modules at http://scienceproject.codeplex.com - if all that's a bit daunting, just go with one of the simpler options ;)

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:46 AM
Edited Nov 11, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Thank you randompete, I've installed MediaGarden, to upload a video I've installed FlowMediaGarden and Mechanics too. After some troubles, now I have my dashboard with the MediaGarden camp. I clicked this camp, I choose the path and the video to upload; after that I 'imported all' from the window that appear under the media selection. Now, how can I add the video to the page? I've tried to add some widgets or add parts to the page but no, my video doesn't exist in the page that I want to see in. Please help me! thank you a lot

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Well, your video now has its own Url - if you want to add body text to that page, you can just add BodyPart to the Video content type in the dashboard - that's the easy way.

If you want to go more complex and you want to attach a video, or even multiple videos, to an existing piece of content, then you need to start using "connectors". There's a basic example here: http://scienceproject.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Mechanics&referringTitle=Documentation

The idea is you create a "proxy" content type (e.g. called "ContentToVideo") and give it ConnectorPart, then give SocketsPart both to Video and to the left-hand content in the relationship (e.g. Page).

But if you just want a video with some text, using BodyPart is much more straightforward.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:16 AM

So,  after I upload the video into my MediaGalleries folder, have I to create a new content type called it Video? Which parts have I to import into it? How can I join this new content type to my video that now has its own URL?

Thank you and sorry but really, this is my first experience with Orchard and with CMS generally.

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Have you installed and enabled the MediaGarden.Videos module? That will give you the Video content type. Then from the Media Garden admin page when you "Import" your video file, it gets imported as an actual video content item (I'm not sure what would have been created for you so far).

When this successfully happens, you'll see a link at the top of the page which will take you to view the item.

In the "Content" admin menu, there's a tab called "Content Types" - here you can edit all the existing content types to add or remove parts from them, so this is where you could add BodyPart to the Video content type (once you have it).

No need to apologise by the way; Media Garden works perhaps slightly differently to how other CMS's might handle media (this is because it's a whole pipeline that allows a lot of flexibility; e.g. did you realise than in 'query' you can paste in a URL to a video file and it will also import that as the same Video content type?) So I realise it might be a bit confusing to start with, and also due to Orchard still being quite young some things don't work as well as they could (for instance in an ideal world you'd just have to install FlowPlayer, and all the supporting modules would be installed automatically - the gallery doesn't support this yet unfortunately!)

Also, Media Garden will get a lot easier to use with the next couple of versions... right now it's a bit primitive in some ways!