Can I deploy with Medium trust or is full trust needed?

Topics: General
Nov 9, 2011 at 7:47 AM

I am getting more and more into Orchard but would also like to put it online somewhere in time. For finding a decent host I want to take into account if I need medium or full trust. Can anyone please advice on this?

Developer
Nov 9, 2011 at 11:48 AM
Edited Nov 9, 2011 at 8:52 PM

The docs say Orchard works on both. I tried in medium trust without any problems, and it was pretty fast too. However full trust should have performance benefits.

Since there are tricks to provide a full trust environment without its security risks when doing shared hosting, full trust is not that uncommon, and I think you should definitely go with it.

Nov 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM

In what way can you clarify the performance difference between the two and which tricks are you referring to?

Developer
Nov 9, 2011 at 1:38 PM
Edited Nov 9, 2011 at 8:52 PM

I can only tell about what I've also read about performance differences in the docs: Orchard in medium trust throws exceptions under normal conditions too. This should have a negative impact on performance, but I don't have any personal experiences with full trust yet to see the advantages.

Since I'm not into operating IIS I don't know how (it was something with running all full trust sites in their own sandbox or similar), but I've read that full trust is possible, and the hosting company I'll get an account at provides full trust indeed, without it's added risks.

Nov 9, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Thank you for the information. I guess I will have to dig deeper into that.

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Yes, it should be easy to find a full trust host. I highly recommend it. Medium trust sucks. So much so that we may stop supporting it some day (don't panic, not now).