BaseTheme and Script.Include

Topics: Writing themes
Oct 31, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Hi,

I have created a Theme as a base and another one as a Child theme.

In my child theme in Layout.cshtml

Style.Include("base.css");

And it doesn't find it in the ChildTheme\Styles but finds it in ParentTheme\Styles which is what is expected.

Using

Script.Include("base.js");

It doesn't go down a level, it stays at the Child theme and stays at ChildTheme\Scripts\base.js and then returns a 404, am I missing a step or is there a different way to share scripts?

Sarkie.

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:22 PM

For resources to be found across modules/themes, you need to use a ResourceManifest and then you can have Style.Require("...") instead. See Orchard's jQuery module for an example of how resource manifest works.

Coordinator
Oct 31, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Or you can fully qualify the path to the script from the root of the site. "~/themes/basetheme/scripts/base.js" should work.

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Yup, I've gone for the latter for now, I just assumed it was a bug since it works for sharing Styles between Parent and Child themes, why not Scripts? 

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:34 PM
Sarkie wrote:

Yup, I've gone for the latter for now, I just assumed it was a bug since it works for sharing Styles between Parent and Child themes, why not Scripts? 

Actually that is strange behaviour, I can confirm the same thing.

Jul 15, 2012 at 8:56 AM
Sarkie wrote:

Would be good if all resources would behave the same (so, both css as js files)

Good to find this post though :)

Coordinator
Jul 16, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Do you have a repro where script and css behave differently? If so, please file a bug.