Developing Orchard using Free Development Tools

Topics: General
Oct 27, 2011 at 8:04 AM
Edited Oct 27, 2011 at 8:06 AM

I am trying to contribute to Orchard at home, but I'm having a problem setting up my development environment. I don't have a license for Visual Studio at home, so I'm trying to use WebMatrix, MonoDevelop, or Visual Studio Express, but each one of them had a different problem working with the source enlistment.

• When I pointed WebMatrix 1.0 to the folder of Orchard.Web, the server ran but gave the following error:
    Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Mvc, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies.
  • MonoDevelop 2.8.1 was able to open the solution but could not build the Orchard.Framework project, giving the following error:
    The type name 'ServiceHostFactory' could not be found. This type has been forwarded to assembly 'System.ServiceModel.Activation, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'. Consider adding a reference to that assembly. (CS1070) (Orchard.Framework)
    The actual error is visible in Orchard.Framework's references, where it says that:
    System.ServiceModel.Activation Assembly not available for Mono / .NET 4.0 (in Microsoft .NET)
  • Visual Studio 2010 Express could not open the solution because it does not support solution folders.

Is there a "known good configuration" to contribute to Orchard at home (i.e. without commercial licenses)?

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2011 at 8:06 AM

When not using Visual Studio with the source code, the trick is to compile from a .NET SDK command line, which is free, but not from the IDE.

Oct 27, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Thanks Bertrand. I used the "ClickToBuild" commandlet and things went fine afterwards. Thanks a lot! :)