Undeleting Widget has causes Object reference error

Topics: Troubleshooting
Oct 23, 2011 at 1:04 AM
Edited Oct 23, 2011 at 1:20 AM

I accidently deleted a widget, and remembered there was an undelete ability. Went to Admin>Content>Recycle Bin (Tab) then found the widget and hit "Undelete". Before undeleting I was able to view it. It then sent me to a screen which I confess I just glossed over. When I went to Admin>Widget I got the error below. FYI, I am using WebMatrix. I have the site published and used the Download feature of WebMatrix so that I could work on the site content offline. My live server is unaffected. However, I spent about 10 hours today creating content pages and widgets. I am hopeful I did not lose all that time. Thanks for any advice.

UPDATE: Please note, I can still view the site (localhost) and the content I created - except not the widget I thought was undeleted and which started this problem. Also, I can log in to the site and see the "EDIT" links.  Clicking on the link will bring me to Admin>Edit Widget page, and I can edit the widget and save it and then be brought back to the site. Wierd. Seems I cannot access Admin>Widget and, therefore, not create any widgets.

ISSUE RESOLVED UPDATE: See below for my workaround.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

Line 21:                     int i = 0;
Line 22:                     foreach (WidgetPart widget in widgets.Where(w => w.Zone == zone).OrderBy(w => w.Position, new Orchard.UI.FlatPositionComparer())) {
Line 23:                         <li class="widgets-@(widget.LayerId == Model.CurrentLayer.Id ? "this" : "other")-layer widgets-layer-@widget.LayerId@(i == 0 ? " first" : (i == count ? " last" : ""))">
Line 24:                             @using (Html.BeginFormAntiForgeryPost()) {
Line 25:                                 <h3>@Html.ActionLink(HasText(widget.Title) ? widget.Title : widget.TypeDefinition.DisplayName, "EditWidget", new { @widget.Id, returnUrl })</h3>

Source File: d:\Users\NAME\Documents\My Web Sites\Orchard\Modules\Orchard.Widgets\Views\WidgetPlacement.Zones.cshtml    Line: 23 

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   Orchard.Widgets.Models.WidgetPart.get_LayerId() +35
   ASP._Page_Modules_Orchard_Widgets_Views_WidgetPlacement_Zones_cshtml.Execute() in d:\Users\NAME\Documents\My Web Sites\Orchard\Modules\Orchard.Widgets\Views\WidgetPlacement.Zones.cshtml:23
   System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy() +207
   System.Web.Mvc.WebViewPage.ExecutePageHierarchy() +81
   System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy(WebPageContext pageContext, TextWriter writer, WebPageRenderingBase startPage) +88
   System.Web.Mvc.RazorView.RenderView(ViewContext viewContext, TextWriter writer, Object instance) +220
   System.Web.Mvc.BuildManagerCompiledView.Render(ViewContext viewContext, TextWriter writer) +115
   System.Web.Mvc.HtmlHelper.RenderPartialInternal(String partialViewName, ViewDataDictionary viewData, Object model, TextWriter writer, ViewEngineCollection viewEngineCollection) +279
   System.Web.Mvc.Html.PartialExtensions.Partial(HtmlHelper htmlHelper, String partialViewName, Object model, ViewDataDictionary viewData) +113
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Descriptors.ShapeTemplateStrategy.ShapeTemplateBindingStrategy.Render(ShapeDescriptor shapeDescriptor, DisplayContext displayContext, HarvestShapeInfo harvestShapeInfo, HarvestShapeHit harvestShapeHit) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Descriptors\ShapeTemplateStrategy\ShapeTemplateBindingStrategy.cs:130
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Descriptors.ShapeTemplateStrategy.<>c__DisplayClass28.<Discover>b__15(DisplayContext displayContext) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Descriptors\ShapeTemplateStrategy\ShapeTemplateBindingStrategy.cs:117
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Descriptors.<>c__DisplayClass5.<BoundAs>b__2(DisplayContext displayContext) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Descriptors\ShapeAlterationBuilder.cs:55
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DefaultDisplayManager.Process(ShapeBinding shapeBinding, IShape shape, DisplayContext context) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DefaultDisplayManager.cs:174
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DefaultDisplayManager.Execute(DisplayContext context) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DefaultDisplayManager.cs:85
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DisplayHelper.ShapeExecute(Object shape) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DisplayHelper.cs:71
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DisplayHelper.Invoke(String name, INamedEnumerable`1 parameters) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DisplayHelper.cs:34
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DisplayHelperBehavior.InvokeMember(Func`1 proceed, Object target, String name, INamedEnumerable`1 args) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DisplayHelperFactory.cs:27
   ClaySharp.<>c__DisplayClass16.<InvokeMember>b__13() in C:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Clay\src\ClaySharp\ClayBehaviorCollection.cs:29
   ClaySharp.ClayBehaviorCollection.Execute(Func`1 proceed, Func`3 linker) in C:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Clay\src\ClaySharp\ClayBehaviorCollection.cs:13
   ClaySharp.ClayBehaviorCollection.InvokeMember(Func`1 proceed, Object self, String name, INamedEnumerable`1 args) in C:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Clay\src\ClaySharp\ClayBehaviorCollection.cs:29
   ASP._Page_Modules_Orchard_Widgets_Views_WidgetPlacement_cshtml.Execute() in d:\Users\NAME\Documents\My Web Sites\Orchard\Modules\Orchard.Widgets\Views\WidgetPlacement.cshtml:13
   System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy(WebPageContext pageContext, TextWriter writer, WebPageRenderingBase startPage) +88
   System.Web.Mvc.RazorView.RenderView(ViewContext viewContext, TextWriter writer, Object instance) +220
   System.Web.Mvc.BuildManagerCompiledView.Render(ViewContext viewContext, TextWriter writer) +115
   System.Web.Mvc.HtmlHelper.RenderPartialInternal(String partialViewName, ViewDataDictionary viewData, Object model, TextWriter writer, ViewEngineCollection viewEngineCollection) +279
   System.Web.Mvc.Html.PartialExtensions.Partial(HtmlHelper htmlHelper, String partialViewName, Object model, ViewDataDictionary viewData) +113
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Descriptors.ShapeTemplateStrategy.ShapeTemplateBindingStrategy.Render(ShapeDescriptor shapeDescriptor, DisplayContext displayContext, HarvestShapeInfo harvestShapeInfo, HarvestShapeHit harvestShapeHit) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Descriptors\ShapeTemplateStrategy\ShapeTemplateBindingStrategy.cs:130
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Descriptors.ShapeTemplateStrategy.<>c__DisplayClass28.<Discover>b__15(DisplayContext displayContext) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Descriptors\ShapeTemplateStrategy\ShapeTemplateBindingStrategy.cs:117
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Descriptors.<>c__DisplayClass5.<BoundAs>b__2(DisplayContext displayContext) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Descriptors\ShapeAlterationBuilder.cs:55
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DefaultDisplayManager.Process(ShapeBinding shapeBinding, IShape shape, DisplayContext context) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DefaultDisplayManager.cs:174
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DefaultDisplayManager.Execute(DisplayContext context) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DefaultDisplayManager.cs:85
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DisplayHelper.ShapeExecute(Object shape) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DisplayHelper.cs:71
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DisplayHelper.Invoke(String name, INamedEnumerable`1 parameters) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DisplayHelper.cs:34
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DisplayHelperBehavior.InvokeMember(Func`1 proceed, Object target, String name, INamedEnumerable`1 args) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DisplayHelperFactory.cs:27
   ClaySharp.<>c__DisplayClass16.<InvokeMember>b__13() in C:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Clay\src\ClaySharp\ClayBehaviorCollection.cs:29
   ClaySharp.ClayBehaviorCollection.Execute(Func`1 proceed, Func`3 linker) in C:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Clay\src\ClaySharp\ClayBehaviorCollection.cs:13
   ClaySharp.ClayBehaviorCollection.InvokeMember(Func`1 proceed, Object self, String name, INamedEnumerable`1 args) in C:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Clay\src\ClaySharp\ClayBehaviorCollection.cs:29
   ASP._Page_Modules_Orchard_Widgets_Views_admin_Index_cshtml.Execute() in d:\Users\NAME\Documents\My Web Sites\Orchard\Modules\Orchard.Widgets\Views\Admin\Index.cshtml:9
   Orchard.Mvc.ViewEngines.ThemeAwareness.<>c__DisplayClass7.<FindView>b__5(ViewContext viewContext, TextWriter writer, IViewDataContainer viewDataContainer) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\Mvc\ViewEngines\ThemeAwareness\LayoutAwareViewEngine.cs:59
   Orchard.Mvc.ViewEngines.ThemeAwareness.LayoutView.Render(ViewContext viewContext, TextWriter writer) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\Mvc\ViewEngines\ThemeAwareness\LayoutAwareViewEngine.cs:90
   System.Web.Mvc.ViewResultBase.ExecuteResult(ControllerContext context) +303
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResult(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionResult actionResult) +13
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass1c.<InvokeActionResultWithFilters>b__19() +23
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResultFilter(IResultFilter filter, ResultExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation) +260
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass1e.<InvokeActionResultWithFilters>b__1b() +19
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResultFilter(IResultFilter filter, ResultExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation) +260
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResultWithFilters(ControllerContext controllerContext, IList`1 filters, ActionResult actionResult) +177
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeAction(ControllerContext controllerContext, String actionName) +343
   System.Web.Mvc.Controller.ExecuteCore() +116
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.Execute(RequestContext requestContext) +97
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.System.Web.Mvc.IController.Execute(RequestContext requestContext) +10
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClassb.<BeginProcessRequest>b__5() +37
   System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass1.<MakeVoidDelegate>b__0() +21
   System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass8`1.<BeginSynchronous>b__7(IAsyncResult _) +12
   System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncResult`1.End() +62
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClasse.<EndProcessRequest>b__d() +50
   System.Web.Mvc.SecurityUtil.<GetCallInAppTrustThunk>b__0(Action f) +7
   System.Web.Mvc.SecurityUtil.ProcessInApplicationTrust(Action action) +22
   System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +60
   System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.System.Web.IHttpAsyncHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult result) +9
   Orchard.Mvc.Routes.HttpAsyncHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult result) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\Mvc\Routes\ShellRoute.cs:148
   System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +8963149
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +184

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.237

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:23 AM

ISSUE RESOLVED: Luckily, I kept the original browser tab that threw the error open. I just went back in the history to the page that I "glossed" over which has a url ending "/Admin/Iroo.VersionManager/List/66". 66 was the item I undeleted. On that page there was a "Remove" link, so I just removed it. And VIOLA, Admin>Widget works again.

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:23 AM
Edited Oct 23, 2011 at 1:23 AM

MISTAKENLY SUBMITTED ABOVE TWICE