Autocomplete tags

Topics: Core, General, Writing modules
Developer
Oct 20, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Are there any plans to add autocomplete functionality to tags? We'd like to add the ability for non-admin users to add tags to a content type, which would greatly benefit from such a feature.

If there is no development going on, I'm willing to start implementing it.

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Go for it, we're not looking at that.

Developer
Oct 20, 2011 at 9:09 PM

OK, I'll start make it as a patch in a fork. Is this OK?

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2011 at 9:13 PM

sure.

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Two (or three) things:

- First we agreed that pull request would be accepted for open issues only, and as much as we like you, this one is not open yet ;) This is important to focus on things that matter, and not letting people think anything can be accepted.
- Second, keep in mind that Orchard is supposed to work without javascript too, so please make it unobtrusive. Please take a look at what I did in the Features page for the dynamic search. It's injecting the feature using Javascript, so if javascript is not here it won't show up.
- And finally, some little bribes always help to open issues 

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Good point. I should have pointed that out. Please open a bug first, send bribes and we'll approve it.

Developer
Oct 21, 2011 at 11:06 AM

To keep to the rules, I've opened an issue here. I plan to implement this with jQueryUI's Autocomplete so it can stay unobtrusive.

And finally, the bribe is that this feature is needed for a module that will be a crucial part of a special little site helping Orchard grow that Bertrand already knows about :-). By the way, we (as a team works on the said site and the module) plan to release the module to the public shortly after the site's launch.

Coordinator
Oct 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Unacceptable.

Developer
Oct 21, 2011 at 8:14 PM

I guessed so... Then I'll go into the corner and cry :-).

BTW currently the contributions branch is closed (and contains now outdated code). Should I update and commit to it anyways, or update to the default and commit to the contributions (thus opening it again)? The docs doesn't mention this scenario.

Coordinator
Oct 21, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Please fork the default branch.

Developer
Oct 21, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Thanks.