What is used in Orchard for "Article"

Topics: General
Oct 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM

I am new to Orchard and am having trouble understanding how one would do some basic things.

What content type would one use for an "Article" (in other words multipe content elements within the content section of a page - where the content items are separately maintained).  Does one typically use a blog for this? 

What if one just wanted to show the most recent n articles in the content section?

Perhaps I am wrong to even think this would go into a content section.   Is the content section intended for only a single piece of content on a page and if one is doing something with content objects, one should use only widgets?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:46 PM

The Page content type could definitely be called Article, but it's called Page for marketing reasons :/

What you can do it create a new Content Type named Article, putting Routable, Body at least on it. Then users can create new articles. But using Pages is fine too.

You can use the Recent Content widget module from the gallery, which can extract the last n content items of a specific content type.

You can also use the Taxonomy module if you want to categorize and filter those articles.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Thanks for the quick response.  I am thinking that I would like to have the content section of the front page have the headlines and a few descriptive lines about each article with a more button to take one to the detailed article.  I need the headline, a subheading, a body, a byline (author), date, etc.  I also need this top be a content type that accepts comments and tags.  I have no problem creating a new content type from scratch, but it would be nice if I could clone and existing content type like blog and just modify it. 

As I said, I am just getting started so any pointers would be appreciated. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Why don't you just use blog then, and add a bunch of fields to the blog post type?

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Thanks for the response.  I am thinking that I will want to use the Blog type as the blog itself.  But I agree that as far as I can see the blog type is closest to what I am looking for.  Is there a way to clone or inherit from an existing content type and then modify?

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:47 PM

no. well, you could export the metadata, modify the recipe and import it back but it might be faster to do it manually.