NHibernate 3.2

Topics: General
Oct 17, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Any plans to upgrade Orchard to the latest NHibernate (3.2 at time of writing)? If so, what release should we be expecting it to be in? v1.4?

Cheers,

Dean

Coordinator
Oct 17, 2011 at 5:29 PM

We've discussed that many times ;) The problem is that more recent versions don't work in medium trust, so we would have to sacrify medium trust (which we can't do, that would break people's sites) or fix nHibernate to run in medium trust. The upgrade is done in the 2.0 branch, if that helps, but it probably doesn't. Contributions are welcome ;)

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Thanks Bertrand, it looks like the NH team have an open issue for it (https://nhibernate.jira.com/browse/NH-2857) just a case of waiting for them to apply it. Alternatively it may be possible to fix this immediately in Orchard by taking the patched byte code provider and using it instead of the built-in NH one until they fix it...

How stable is 2.0 - is the core platform stable enough for 3rd party development?

Thanks,

Dean

Coordinator
Oct 18, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Might be, thanks for investigating it. 2.0 is not stable at all.

Coordinator
Oct 18, 2011 at 6:43 PM

We might apply specific patches to nh source code, as we had to do in the past. We definitely move on nh 3.2, but not for next release. Might be doable for next one.

Right now I don't think of a scenario that nh 2.0 is preventing us from doing, so it's not really high priority.

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Thanks for your feedback, we're mostly NH 3.2 and rely upon a number of bugfixes, particularly in the LINQ provider that are present in that release! Presumably I could upgrade my own copy of 1.3 to NH 3.2 without significant breakage (other than the medium trust thing)? I'll try it later - any pointers on dragons to look out for would be great :o)!

Dean

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2011 at 6:46 PM

You won't be able to upgrade so easily, there are breaking changes in the ICriteria/LINQ provider.

However, you might want to take a look into the work done by Andre on the dev branch, and try to apply it to the current default. Then it could ship very soon.

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Awesome, I'll give it a shot. Do you want me to submit a pull request when I'm done?
Cheers,
Dean

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Well, call me, I'll bring some champagne.
But yes, create a pull request, so I can test it and review.