Publish Settings with WebMatrix

Topics: Installing Orchard
Oct 14, 2011 at 11:32 AM
Edited Oct 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I'm trying to publish Orchard to a Windows 2008 R2 web server and have the site working with http://localhost:3280. There were several omissions in the instructions in that I had to create a database in SQLExpress, a user id and map it to the database. The installation worked at that point. I opened Orchard in Localhost and added some users and pages. The application is browseable at http://localhost:3280. However, I do not see any web site in IIS7. In trying to publish settings with WebMatrix, I have to use my domain logon which has access to the folder, but I keep getting the remote site or application is not recognized. I created a site in IIS7 pointed it to the Orchard folder, but it returns page not found error. The Application pool account has permissions to read and write in the folder. The question is what is the required site name and destination URL? It won't publish to the http://localhost:3280 either.

I'm publishing it to the IIS7 on the web server, if this makes any difference.

I'm working on the server directly behind the firewall. What are the missing elements to the publish settings? I was able to do an install on my local W7 developer machine using the source code and VS2010. Any useful assistance will be appreciated.

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:14 PM

To resolve this issue, I did an add website from gallery and it work just fine.

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:39 PM
Edited Oct 15, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Unfortuneatly, I have an IIS7 issue to resolve.

Is there any updated install documentation that describes the full installation process? I've yet to have anything install from Microsoft that didn't need debugging or discovering missing steps.

I don't like to install applications in the C: drive and try to limit it to only the OS. I set up a websites folder on another drive, install any web applications and reference this folder in IIS. It works when I create the application. There must be some hard coded references or paths in Orchard (and others) that are not resolveable. Any developer help stating what and where these references are would be appreciated and maybe added to the documentation.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:56 AM

Can you describe the issue?

No, there are no hard-coded paths in Orchard.

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:48 PM
Edited Oct 18, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Thank you for responding. The issue is that I can browse the web site in development. When I publish to the web server, it goes to the default.aspx page of the IIS Default web site. I don't get any messages in the IIS log that is helpful.

I originally installed the application in the root web folder and then moved it to a separate folder. Is there any possible configuration settings remaining in the database that needs to be changed?

I see in the Global.asax a reference to Orchard.Web.MvcApplication. I don't see the dll in the bin file or the Orchard.Web folder.

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:18 PM

My guess would be that you pointed IIS at the wrong directory. Can you describe what is in the directory that IIS is pointing to?

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:02 PM
Edited Oct 18, 2011 at 7:05 PM

I'm pointed to the directory that I'm publishing to. You can see the default page from the default web at (I replace the logo on the MS default)

At this point I'm not using WebMatrix, but VS 2010 Ultimate.

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Not what I'm asking: what files and folders do you see at the root of the directory IIS is pointing at?

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:06 PM
Edited Oct 18, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Sites: (IIS Folder)

AmericaSpring (folder)

App_Data (folder)

Global.asax (file in AmericaSpring folder)

Refresh.htm(file in AmericaSpring folder)

Web.config (file in America Spring folder)

I did download and unzip the source code. Here are some error messages in VS 2010

System.Windows.Interop.InteropBitmap C#: Unknown method 'Display' WebViewPage.cs Orchard.Framework 139 30 C#
System.Windows.Interop.InteropBitmap C#: Unknown method 'Display' ViewPage.cs Orchard.Framework 100 30 C#
System.Windows.Interop.InteropBitmap C#: Unknown method 'Display' ViewUserControl.cs Orchard.Framework 99 30 C#
System.Windows.Interop.InteropBitmap C#: Unknown type of variable 'pageZonesFoo' ShapeTests.cs Orchard.Framework.Tests 65 13 C#
System.Windows.Interop.InteropBitmap C#: Unknown type of variable 'position' CoreShapes.cs Orchard.Core 185 36 C#
System.Windows.Interop.InteropBitmap C#: Unknown type of member 'position' CoreShapes.cs Orchard.Core 190 62 C#
System.Windows.Interop.InteropBitmap C#: Unknown type of member 'position' CoreShapes.cs Orchard.Core 190 88 C#
Oct 19, 2011 at 12:09 AM

You see those errors in Visual Studio when you attempt to compile what? In other words, what did you open in VS?

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:12 AM

When I compile Orchard; run build at the solution level

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Those errors don't make any sense at all. We don't even use, let alone reference InteropBitmap. You must have modified something, or you have a super-weird environment. I'll ask around if people have any idea what could be causing these errors because I have no idea.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:38 AM

I downloaded the and created a new project with it in VS2010. I noticed that Orchard.Framework is set as the startup project (which will not work with debug) and I changed the startup to Orchard.Web and did a rebuild. I got the same errors as noted in the previous comment plus an error in Refresh.htm missing a </meta> closing tag on line 6. In my previous effort I had added this ending tag. The errors in this file need to be corrected as others should have the same problem downloading this source file.

I searched the published web for any references to my development laptop sql database and found one connection string in the App_Data\Sites\Default\Settings.txt file but could not find any other sql references. What may be the issue is that on doing a compile and publish, my development connection string has been embedded and is being published explaining why it goes to the default web page of the default web. I do not get any error messages written to any logs. 

What my next step will be is to download the source and VS express to the server and attempt a compile on the server.

I appreciate your attention to this issue and hope you will see me through to resolving this issue.

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:17 AM

Why did you create a new project?

Yes, if you deploy app_data you are also deploying the settings, including the connection string. It is fine to change it if you need to. I'm still confused about your whole setup here. Can you give me a precise step-by-step repro?

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:53 AM

I may have installed some extensions in VS that have something to do with my issue publishing from my development machine; I picked a few extensions to uninstall but did not find any remedy.

I cleaned my server of any previous attempts and was going to work through each of the four installation methods on the server and did get the site up and running. Here is my notes:

1. Installation using Web Platform Installer

a. Download success.

b. Opens directly to the Getting Started page skipping the web matrix.

c. Setup failed.

1. Created the Orchard database using SQLExpress management tool.

2. Setup failed again.

3. Created a SQL logon and password and set as dbo in Orchard database.

d. At this point it succeeded.

e. Browsing the application from the internet failed as a virtual directory under wwwroot.

f. IIS and ISA configuration that enabled web browsing:

1. Created an application that pointed to the Orchard folder installed under wwwroot named AmericaSpring with published as

2. Created an ISA publishing rule pointed to the application (when it was pointed to the virtual directory under Default Web it displayed the default page).

3. If you would like more detail, including publishing behind ISA, I'll send it to you.

I don't think I have it set up quite right because the root Orchard application is publishing as AmericaSpring, and if I add another web application, I'm not sure that it will work well in a subfolder.

Thank you for your help.

If you'd like to see the site:

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Thanks for the details. When you say "setup failed", can you please explain how it failed? (error message, stack trace, anything you have that can help diagnose)

If you run through WebMatrix, the server is IIS Express, that does not allow for remote connections: it's only a dev server.

In f1, I want to be sure that you are pointing it to the right directory. Under the folder where you unzipped the source, it should be src/Orchard.Web.

But now I'm a little confused as the site seems to be running just fine (and seems to be conveying a nice message btw). So, is there still a problem that needs to be fixed here?

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:23 AM

1. The failed message existed at the top of the form.

2. It skipped WebMatrix and opened up the database form.

3. It created an Orchard directory name, not Orchard.Web name.

The site is running and I don't think that I'll pursue any more efforts on the install because I've got another pressing project and will need to work out the key ideas for reframing Consittutional amendments with current issues. Who knows were it will go, and I will develop a moderated forum for each issue.

I haven't resolved the errors, but it seems to be a conflict with AppFabric.

Thanks for your help.

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:10 PM

1. what was the error message?

3. don't you have a src directory inside of that, and an orchard.web inside of that?