Server 500 Error When Publishing with Live Writer 2011

Topics: Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Oct 10, 2011 at 1:38 AM

After upgrading to Version 1.3.9 I'm now getting Server 500 Errors when publishing with Live Writer 2011.  I have Enabled Remote publishing.

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Can you monitor the traffic with Fiddler for example and give more information on the error? (you may have to disable custom errors in web.config for that)

(I can publish just fine on my own 1.3 blog with LW 2011)

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I have removed the blog Account and set it up again.  I can connect to the blog through LW and update the theme.  This error only occurs when publishing.

From Fiddler

System.ArgumentException:  Value does not fall within the expected range

StackTrace:

[ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.]

Orchard.Blogs.Services.XmlRpcHandler.MetaWeblogEditPost(Int32 postId, String userName, String password, XRpcStruct content, Boolean publish, IEnumerable`1 drivers) +893
   Orchard.Blogs.Services.XmlRpcHandler.Process(XmlRpcContext context) +1324
   Orchard.Core.XmlRpc.Controllers.HomeController.Dispatch(XRpcMethodCall request) in HomeController.cs:39
   Orchard.Core.XmlRpc.Controllers.HomeController.ServiceEndpoint(XRpcMethodCall methodCall) in HomeController.cs:27
   lambda_method(Closure , ControllerBase , Object[] ) +86
   System.Web.Mvc.ActionMethodDispatcher.Execute(ControllerBase controller, Object[] parameters) +17
   System.Web.Mvc.ReflectedActionDescriptor.Execute(ControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 parameters) +188
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethod(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters) +27
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass15.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__12() +56
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation) +267
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass17.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__14() +20
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation) +267
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodWithFilters(ControllerContext controllerContext, IList`1 filters, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters) +190
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeAction(ControllerContext controllerContext, String actionName) +329
   System.Web.Mvc.Controller.ExecuteCore() +115
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.Execute(RequestContext requestContext) +94
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.System.Web.Mvc.IController.Execute(RequestContext requestContext) +10
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClassb.<BeginProcessRequest>b__5() +37
   System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass1.<MakeVoidDelegate>b__0() +21
   System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass8`1.<BeginSynchronous>b__7(IAsyncResult _) +12
   System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncResult`1.End() +55
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClasse.<EndProcessRequest>b__d() +31
   System.Web.Mvc.SecurityUtil.<GetCallInAppTrustThunk>b__0(Action f) +7
   System.Web.Mvc.SecurityUtil.ProcessInApplicationTrust(Action action) +23
   System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +59
   System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.System.Web.IHttpAsyncHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult result) +9
   Orchard.Mvc.Routes.HttpAsyncHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult result) in ShellRoute.cs:148
   System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +8962909
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +184

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Is that when editing an existing post or when publishing a new one?

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Okay found the issue.

It had to do postId.  Because I'm re-establishing my blog, the post I was trying to publish was not a "new" post but rather pulled from local.  Apparently there was an ID established with it and LW/XmlRpc was handling it as an Edit rather than a new post. When  I Copied the contents into a New post, I was then able to post the blog with success.