General discussion about Swedish translation

Topics: Localization
Oct 8, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Hello,

I have some thoughts and questions about the Swedish translation and how we should translate certain strings.

1. What is the best way to translate "Tokens"?
  2. How should we translate "Not allowed to…" and "Not authorized to…”? "Ej tillåten att..." and "Saknar behörighet för att..."?
  3. I personally think "Content", "Content Item", "Content Part" and "Content Type" should be fully translated, like "Innehåll", "Innehållselement(?)", "Innehållsdel" och "Innehållstyp".
  4. Same goes for e-mail, which I think should be called "e-post", even though "mail" is quite common in Sweden

Give me your opinions!

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2011 at 12:39 AM

I am thankful I don't have to speak Swedish, it really looks painful ! Is there anything we can do for support ? Money, groceries, post card ?

Good luck,
Sebastien 

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Haha, I've always thought English is a better language, but I haven't realized how much better it is until I started translation Orchard. But Swedish is not that bad actually, we just lack some generic words like "item", which in English works for pretty much everything. That makes it a bit hard to translate sometimes. But if we (poor Swedish translators) could agree on some sort of standard I think we will be doing great!

Postcards would be a nice touch :)

Thanks!

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:27 AM

Hi Jonas,

I and a collegue are the ones who did the majority of the (sv-se) translation. We changed some of the "translation styles" along the way, and after we saw how the different things looked in the site. This was quite a long process and I'm quite sure there are some inconsistencies now. Pre 1.3 we did a overhaul at 15 strings or so.

1) Sometimes it's best to leave words as they are, I think token is such a word.

2) the latter

3) I agree. We started to do this in the strings we found pre 1.3

4) Years ago I would have opted for "epost", but today "email", "mail" or even "mejl" are just as good. I'd go for "mejl".  

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:43 AM
mullvaden wrote:

Hiy Jonas,

I and a collegue are the ones who did the majority of the (sv-se) translation. We changed some of the "translation styles" along the way, and after we saw how the different things looked in the site. This was quite a long process and I'm quite sure there are some inconsistencies now. Pre 1.3 we did a overhaul at 15 strings or so.

1) Sometimes it's best to leave words as they are, I think token is such a word.

2) the latter

3) I agree. We started to do this in the strings we found pre 1.3

4) Years ago I would have opted for "epost", but today "email", "mail" or even "mejl" are just as good. I'd go for "mejl".  

Hello mullvaden,

First, you have both done a great job :)

To summarize things into an Orchard English-Swedish mini dictionary:

• Token => Token
  • Not allowed to... => Saknar behörighet för att...
  • Not authorized to... => Saknar behörighet för att...
  • Content => Innehåll
  • Content item => Innehållselement
  • Content part => Innehållsdel
  • Content type => Innehållstyp

Regarding e mail, if we stick to "mejl", then we would translate "e-mail message" to "mejl" and "e-mail address" to "mejladress"?

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Yes, the Datatermgruppen ("Swedish Data Term Group") recommends "mejl" (noun) and "mejla" (verb) for not so formal situations. I think we should go with that too.

Agree on the other. Maybe item could gain to be "objekt", since I suspect we might stumble across an English "element". 

Oct 9, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Sounds good to me.

Yes, I think you are right about "objekt". So, "Content item" translates to "Innehållsobjekt" then.

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:18 AM

I got feedback from my collegue:

"When we started translating, at first we chose to translate the "Content", "Content Item", "Content Part" and "Content Type” to Swedish, as you propose. But as we went along, we realized that these are more like “general concepts” of the Orchard Core, and not “words” that should be translated. Though, it would be interesting to get feedback from how the translation into other languages looks like."

I remember that now; and realizing that it will only cause trouble when trying to describe to the community what you are trying to accomplish.

So leave those.

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Yes, that is a good point. Maybe we should ask the community about this? The other completed cultures, fr-FR and tr-TR, have both translated Content, Content Item etc.

From my point of view English terms are to prefer, especially in the case you provided - when trying to get feedback from the community. But, I think most of the "community users" (those who create modules and so on) will stick to English as language in Orchard. I think that the translations should benefit the end users, who only adds content to the site and may be un-experienced with internet in general. For those users I think we should translate all terms that we can translate.

The problem will then be the users just trying to setup an Orchard site on their own. But then we'll just hope someone from Sweden reads their thread and can answer it ;)

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2011 at 8:06 PM

I think that's also a cultural thing: in some cultures, technical terms are left untranslated, and in some others everything is translated, to the point of being silly. French is one of those: the keepers of the integrity of the French language (yes, there is such a thing) are very keen on not allowing foreign words in unless it's already too late. Example: I kept e-mail as is in the translation but there used to be a silly French word for that that everybody forgot: courriel.