Shared hosting SQL Server related error after updating the website

Topics: Troubleshooting
Sep 26, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Hi,

I had my Orchard website working at my shared hosting after the first try: only had to copy the website folder and subfolders from my computer to the hosting wwwroot folder, and created the database structure and data on a SQL Server instance on the hosting, then updated the connection string at the "App _Data_Sites_Default\Settings.txt" file, and got it working.

Now that I've customized the website further in my computer and added three modules (Search, Indexing and Lucene Search), I've copied the website folder from my computer over the remote wwwroot folder, update the database structure and data using RedGate Compare & Data Compare products, but now I get the following error right when I try to access the website:

Server Error in '/' Application.

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)]
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) +1065
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +108
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +126

You can see the full error details trying yourself http://www.moving2u.pt

What could I have done wrong, does the search related modules require additional work?

Thanks,

Alberto Silva

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Well, got ir working after stopping and starting again the remote website :)

BTW, I'm using Cytanium web hosting.

Alberto Silva