Is Orchard right for me?

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General, Writing modules
Sep 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I'm trying to determine which CMS to go with.  The number one concern I have is how easy is it to extend the CMS.

The site I am thinking about making would have two portions.

1) CMS - the public facing site that content editors are responsible for maintaining.

2) Registration - a secured site where users can register for events/classes/seminars.  I originally thought this would be a simple eCommerce solution, but after looking at the requirements, I realize this doesn't really fall into that category.  So I was going to make my own and I wanted to be able to integrate it with the CMS (shared users & roles, for example).

Is this something that Orchard can do?  If so, can someone point me to the resources I would need to read to better understand how to do it?  I was looking at the documentation (tons of it, thanks!) but wasn't sure exactly where this would fall in.  The section regarding extending Orchard seemed at first glance to be about creating modules.   I'm not sure if what I described above would be described as a module, or more as a "sister application".

Coordinator
Sep 26, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I would say yes, as you could create event/seminar/classes management, and simply turn off the permission for Anonymous to access it. And you might have to create a "module", yes, to add this management. A module is just a set of ASP.NET NVC controllers you want Orchard to handle.