pinning site in existing orchard site

Topics: Administration, Announcements, Customizing Orchard, General, Installing Orchard, Localization, Troubleshooting, Writing modules, Writing themes
Sep 26, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Hey All,

i am trying to implement pinned sites concept in my existing orchard site.
So i require some help to know how it could be done.

please help me out guys

Naresh kumar

Sep 26, 2011 at 9:47 AM

What is the pinned sites concept?

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:10 AM
Edited Sep 26, 2011 at 10:10 AM

In windows 7, we have a feature where you can drag the fav icon from the IE9 browser and pin it to the taskbar.

please see this demo for further understanding URL:

I am trying to implement this feature for the pages in the websites i have created.

Any help would be deeply appreciated

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I don't see why this would be any different in Orchard.

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:20 AM

The reason is we are building sites through orchard for Restaurants. When people want to access the food-menu page in the site, once the site is pinned, they just can do so by right clicking on the pinned icon in the task bar and go to the menu page directly.
There is a procedure where in we have to include a few lines of metadata in the <head> section of the home page.
so is it possible to do it?

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Of course. Override Document.cshtml.

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:53 AM
Edited Sep 26, 2011 at 10:57 AM

but the sites have already been deployed ion remote servers which don't have such privileges to edit the document.cshtml.
moreover i have deployed them on IIS 7.0, not web matrix.

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:31 AM

There is a module to specify this kind of Meta (icon, color) in head for IE9 :

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:33 AM

But the ability to specify additionnal 'tasks' (with url, icon, ...) is not available for the moment.

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:45 AM

And as Bertrand said, the easiest way is to specify them in Layout.cshtml of your theme. 

You should at least have the possibility to upload a new theme (in admin/themes : 'Install a theme from your computer') that you would have packaged (with a command 'package create MyFirstTheme C:\Temp' in Orchard.exe) : 

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:01 PM

If you can't modify the site, I guess you can't do that. Then again, I don't understand how you can hope to do anything beyond editing contents in such a setup. What do you do when you need to upgrade the site or fix a bug?