Orchard CMS 1.2, Visual Studio 2010, SQLServer 2008, FTP Publish

Topics: Installing Orchard
Sep 23, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Hi,

I'm new to Orchard CMS and wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction to get an out of the box Orchard installation working before I even delve into customising it.

Most of the examples and tutorials seem to be using WebMatrix, running Orchard locally and using Windows CE.
I want to use Visual Studio 2010, Sql Server 2008 R2 and host with my website hosting company. I also want to use FileZilla to FTP my Orchard files to my site and not use webdeploy.

I'm using Windows 7 32 bit and Visual Studio 210 for development.

Here are the steps I have completed so far:

1) Read the Orchard documentation with regards to installation.
2) I have downloaded Orchard.Source.1.2.41.zip
3) I have extracted the source files
4) I have navigated to the \src directory and double clicked on the Orchard.sln thus causing my Visual Studio 2010 to be invoked and loaded into the IDE.
5) I then switch the build mode to release.
6) I make sure Orchard.web is set as the startup project
6) I next build the solution
7) I now press F5 to run.
8) The Orchard setup page appears.
9) I entered all the details and chose SQL Server for the database and provide the database connection string to my hosting company (not my local database)
10) After a little wait my new CMS page appears - perfectly!
11) Now I stop running the site by pressing shift+f5
12) Next I Click on the Orchard.Web project.
13) Next I select the Build menu item and choose publish Orchard.web
14) The publish method I set to 'File System' and I choose an output directory.
15) I click the publish button.
16) I open up FileZilla and Ftp all the published files to my hosting provider. (this takes a while as there are lots of files)
17) I go to my domain name and see if it appears : http://www.aceso.co.uk/

However I receive some sort of permissions error message. See below...

Am I missing something?

Any help would be much appreciated.

-------------------------------------------
Server Error in '/' Application.

Access to the path 'D:\inetpub\vhosts\aceso.co.uk\httpdocs\App_Data\Dependencies\Lucene.dll' is denied.
Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'D:\inetpub\vhosts\aceso.co.uk\httpdocs\App_Data\Dependencies\Lucene.dll' is denied.

ASP.NET is not authorized to access the requested resource.
Consider granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity.
ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or Network Service on IIS 6 and IIS 7, and the configured application pool identity on IIS 7.5) that is used if the application is not impersonating.
If the application is impersonating via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

To grant ASP.NET access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer, choose "Properties" and select the Security tab.
Click "Add" to add the appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the boxes for the desired access.
-------------------------------------------
Thanks

Matt.

Coordinator
Sep 23, 2011 at 6:38 PM

I think the error message is pretty clear: you need to make sure the destination host has the required write permissions, in particular on App_Data.

Sep 24, 2011 at 4:03 PM
Edited Sep 24, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Thanks bertandleroy,

I had tried the permissions via the control panel of my shared hosting site but it didn't seem to make any difference.  This time I gave it another go and gave the app_data directory and child directories full access and then reduced it down to write access plus I modified the web config file (with a simple space) to force the website to be reloaded and it did the trick.

I was beginning to think I'd missed a step which is why I provided what I was doing in detail.

Thanks again.

Matt.