ImageField Upload Image Quality

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
Sep 23, 2011 at 5:32 AM

Hi all,

I've noticed that when I'm uploading files using the ImageField module that the image quality has been reduced, e.g. text is slightly pixilated.

I've checked the code in the ImageField and it uses the MediaService to save the file, I can't see the ImageField changing my image as I have no validation rules or resize/crop options set. Therefore I'm thinking it might be the mediaservice, I've had an initial look at the code

and can't see anything obvious.

Can anyone help? Is there a setting (config or otherwise) to set to ensure image is 100% quality?

Thanks,

Kevin

Coordinator
Sep 23, 2011 at 5:45 AM

My guess would be that you forced dimensions for the image that are not its natural dimensions, resulting in the browser doing the resizing, an doing a relatively poor job at it.

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:58 PM

I've investigated this further and this is not the case, basically I think it's to do with the ImageField custom field, the image I'm uploading is 116KB and it's being saved at less than half at 51KB, I'm looking at the code and I think it's something to do with the image manipulation that's going on. Although I have the ImageField set to just validate and the dimensions set to 0 so it's not even validating it's just using the image that is uploaded.

I'll let you know what find, I think I may need to create encoder classes so I can set the quality to what I want, i.e. 100

Coordinator
Sep 25, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Did you try to contact the author of the ImagField module?

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:57 PM

I will be doing this later yes, thanks for all of the advice. :)