UNC and poor performance

Topics: Administration
Sep 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Hello all,

Our installation of orchard as a blog solution for one of our clients is causing a major headache. The topology: orchard resides on a UNC path, and is served by 2 IIS 7 servers that share their configuration.

When orchard is served from the webserver-local filesystem, its performance is OK. When it is served from the UNC, we are seeing 17 second page load times. This same topology is used to serve high profile sites with no performance issues, so the unc should not be an issue.

We have followed all recommendations described in http://orchardproject.net/docs/Optimizing-Performance-of-Orchard-with-Shared-Hosting.ashx. Could you please help us resolve this?

Thank you.

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Are you using SQL Server ? SQL Ce might be an issue on an UNC.

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:36 PM

I have used the mini profiler project and determined that SQL times are trivial. I cannot see how UNC can be connected to query times.

Please explain more.

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Can I guess by your answer that you are using SQL Ce ? If so, would you mind doing a little test using at least Sql Server Express, which is free but runs as a service ?

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:30 PM

The exact topology:

• two IIS 7 web servers in shared configuration mode
  • orchard app on UNC, on some kind of NAS
  • database server is SQL 2008 R2 on some other host

It is clear that the UNC is the problem because page load improves dramatically when orchard is served locally on the IISs.

I hope this info helps you.

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:31 AM

We also have performance problems on our live server. The same orchard website on our testing server is on the other hand rocket fast. Is it possible this has something to do with the SAN drive which is used in our server?

Coordinator
Dec 1, 2011 at 7:59 AM

Yes. We've seen it before. Poorly optimized shares can create bottlenecks. Especially with CE.