Orchard Deployment with Azure accelerator for web roles

Topics: Administration, General
Sep 11, 2011 at 10:11 PM
Edited Sep 11, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Has anyone deployed Orchard to Windows Azure with "Accelerator for Web Roles" http://waawebroles.codeplex.com/

It seems the normal pattern for the accelerator (which once set up let's you deploy to azure in seconds and easily put multiple applications on a single web role) requires you to publish a normal Mvc application (rather than a cloud services project.) I'm about to try the Azure version of Orchard and wondering if / how this ties in.

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Did you ever try this...? I am interested in pursuing the same thing, but thought I'd check before going too deep.

Coordinator
Feb 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Why would you use Web Accelerator as Orchard supports Azure out of the box ?

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM

About a year ago when I tried using Orchard on Azure, I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it working - especially in terms of things like adding modules, etc. I also had to use the source code download instead of just installing via WPI. As far as I could tell on the site, none of that has changed recently???

Otherwise, my hope is that I could "install" Orchard in a WebMatrix project and be up and running in 3 minutes.

Please let me know what I'm missing.

Thanks in advance!!!

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Edited Feb 20, 2012 at 2:59 PM

We use it here: Web accelerator allows you to deploy multiple sites on a single server through webdeploy. It can be useful ;) It works: Deploy the Azure web project through webdeploy to your azure webrole.

However, you shouldn't enable the warmup module: the constant updates of the AppData folder will trigger a lot of package invalidations, and therefore a lot of useless blob storage updates... And a constant stream of application restart if you are running multi instance.

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:56 PM

If you need ability to add modules in Azure deployment,, looks like thers is module for that: http://gallery.orchardproject.net/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Avanade.Packaging.Azure/1.0