Items not saving correctly

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
Sep 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Hi

I have a very worrying situation.

We're about to go live with a website, and the client has had two people entering content for 2 weeks.. The site is hosted on azure on 2 instances and is using an azure db.

There is an issue with saving items.

I've seen it personally where I've added fields to types and they just disappear, and the client has added taxonomy terms to items that don't 'stick' I was running the DB caching module, but I've disabled it in case it was the cause.

Where should I begin my investigation? Clearly this is a bad situation, but hopefully I can find the root cause and set the client's mind at ease.

Any help/suggestions HUGELY appreciated

Coordinator
Sep 9, 2011 at 8:00 PM

You are not using SQLCE are you?

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Nope. Azure DB

Coordinator
Sep 9, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Can you still reproduce it now the DB caching is off ?

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Hard to tell :)

I haven't had any reports of it today, although fewer people have been working on it. 

I did get this about 3 minutes ago: There was an error when querying the Keep Alive url: Unable to connect to the remote server

When I was trying to save search settings. Not sure if it's related or not, but it's something else that I'll need to deal with too! (Google yielded no results on a copy/paste)

Coordinator
Sep 9, 2011 at 8:55 PM

This message has nothing to do with your issue. It's just that Keep Alive is trying to ping itself to check if the url is valid. This url should be the internal one, and it happens there is a specific port to target in Azure internally. It's reversed proxied from the outside.

Oh, by the way, your issue IS with the DB cache. If you have not configured a distributed caching for NHibernate, then each node will have it's own cache, and there will be stale data on one or the other. My advice is to remove this module. You should use the Caching module instead as a first step. It's simpler to configure, i.e. there is nothing to configure.

Sep 9, 2011 at 9:05 PM

No, didn't configure distributed caching.

Good to know the root cause! Thank you. (and for all your great work :) )

I'm also using your caching module. It's helping loads with anonymous access (which is all there is for the moment). I will need to investigate other ways to cache when we open the site up to user registrations though... I'm using the orchard cache for 'internal' queries and that's also sped up the site a whole bunch (there are a lot of 'widgets' that require several content lookups each, pretty much on each page). I'll hope to implement the caching strategy that was described here:  http://chrisbower.com/2011/05/31/shape-method-caching/

I think I'll also blog about the dangers of caching with orchard, and that it's not something to leave till the end of the project :) I've spent most of the week refactoring the widgets so that they could be cached by orchard's caching mechanism. Originally we thought we'd be able to cache the content items that IContentManager returned, which was another nono.

Seems I went off on a tangent :)

Could you let me know how to configure Keep Alive? It seems to be preventing me from updating the search settings.