SeeSharp

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General
Sep 1, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Is it possible to use Orchard CMS as your backend system and create a front-end site in asp.net mvc that would use Orchard's API (if there is one, is there any?) to extract data from CMS and display it on the site?

Also, if i have already developed some modules like (Voting, comments, etc). How easy is it to port them over to Orchard as packages? Of course, it will depend on implementation, but given average case.

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2011 at 6:02 PM

You may be able to use some Orchard APIs outside of Orchard, but only coincidentally, as it has not been designed with that scenario in mind. The reverse, taking an ASP.NET MVC area and making it work in Orchard, is a scenario that works. I have a blog post in preparation illustrating it. There is some work to do, for sure, but nothing too bad, depending on the level of integration you want.

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I've been watching the documentation and the roadmap but it seems that an API is not in the roadmap. Do you have any additional info if an API might be present in a future version?

Coordinator
Oct 15, 2011 at 6:08 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by API in this context: from the common meaning of that acronym, Orchard is nothing but APIs. Can you explain what exactly you mean by that?

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Well, what i mean is what SeePlusPlus (i believe) also menant: it's using Orchard as a plataform, and having an API to access all the functionality instead of using the current UI to build a site. Imagine that we would like to have a different UI as the Dashboard, could we build a completly different UI and still use Orchard in the backend?

I'm sorry if i'm not clear enaough, English is not my main language.

Coordinator
Oct 15, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Yes, every single feature in Orchard is accessible through code.

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Ok, thanks. I'm looking at various "simple" CMS and Orchard really seems to be the best. Good work.