Application does not pick up changes in source code

Topics: Troubleshooting, Writing modules
Aug 31, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Hello all,

we've been spending a lot of time today on several problems where our Orchard application wouldn't pick up the changes we made to our modules' source code.

1. Changing the Migrations.cs file should lead to the message that our module should be updated - this does not happen.
  2. Referencing one of our modules in another failed with "Could not load type or namespace". After a lot of cleaning, building, cleaning the App_Data directory (except the Sites folder) we got it to work. But then:
  3. Removing the reference to the second module was not recognized by the application - it kept complaining that a reference is missing although the source code line it was refering to did no longer exist! It simply would not run!
  4. In one of our modules I changed the default namespace and the name of the assembly and replaced all namespaces in all files - after doing that the ContentPart that was defined in that module no longer showed. After undoing all of that, it still does not work. Any ideas?

All in all, frustrating. Also, once we compile a module in VS because the changes we made are not recognized, we have no clue how to back to dynamic compilation for that module :-|

What are we doing wrong? Are these known bugs? Unknown bugs?

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2011 at 12:53 AM

I've seen that happen once, but was unable to pinpoint the cause. I think it has to do with an old version remaining in the ASP.NET temporary files and getting picked up.