Questions about Orchard and it's capabilities

Topics: General
Aug 30, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Hi all, a friend suggested Orchard to me for a project I am doing and while I know Windows Forms backwards and forwards I am still a bit new when it comes to ASP .Net and web development in general, so I thought I would ask the experts here if this is indeed the right solution for me! I am familiar with a MVC pattern, just not with Web stuff. But basically what I need is a website that has fairly granular access based on user permissions with a fair amount of custom modules put into it, for example adding a property and its attributes, searching for a property, etc. From what I have seen about orchard so far is that it is obviously a CMS that makes a lot of the initial tasks such as basic page announcements and users set up for you. My question is can you modify the user definition to include extra fields? Is it easily extensible to add on things like I have mentioned to make it a fully featured web app? Thanks for the input guys! 

Phil

Coordinator
Aug 30, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Yes. Orchard is all about extensibility.

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Yes, as Bertrand said Orchard is designed from the ground up to be extensible. In fact, the core framework is relatively small and much of the "out-of-the-box" functionality that ships with Orchard is implemented as modules, which are the basic building blocks for extending Orchard. You can write your own modules that plug into Orchard in the exact same way as all of the "built-in" features like Pages, Blogs, etc.

As to the user question, yes you can do that. There's a module available on the Orchard Gallery called Profile which is designed to be attached to users for adding your own fields.