Orchard Steering Committee elections

Topics: Announcements, General
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2011 at 11:22 PM
Hi all,

I've alluded to it before, and now is the time to get this started. We are ready to take the next step in making Orchard a community-based project and incorporating more community participation. We want key decisions (including design) to be handled going forward by a small group of enthusiastic community members in addition to input by the core team at Microsoft. We think about that in the following way:
  • We'll make a call for candidacy for each of the five seats on the committee. Actually, this post is it.
  • Seats will be for a year (with an option to leave early if necessary), and will be renewable.
  • Candidates must commit to spending a portion of their time (personal or professional with their employer's permission) every week. Count on one 1-hour Lync meeting a week usually, plus involvement in feature teams if you so desire. A candidate can be anyone who is active in the community and who is using Orchard. It is not required that you are a ninja coder (although we love ninjas), only that you are passionate and active.
  • The first elected committee will determine the rules of the game going forward, including the voting process, triage, commit rights, etc.
  • One of the seats will be for the job of Benevolent Dictator, whose powers are to be determined. Maybe veto or unblocking stalemates.
  • If we have more candidates than seats, we'll set-up a vote (will be able to vote people who have CodePlex accounts and who have posted at least once on the Orchard discussions).
  • We’ll create a new mailing-list for the committee, that will be public and archived.
  • For each development sprint, the committee will spin up feature teams and make calls for participation. Details on this will follow.
  • We will also need an additional person taking the role of Patch Master (more on this later). This role can be cumulated with a steering committee seat.
All comments on this are of course welcome.

So there it is. Please make your candidacy known to the world by answering this post. Myself (Bertrand Le Roy) and Sébastien Ros are candidates. I will also be a candidate to the role of Benevolent Dictator.

We will leave the thread open for candidacies until 11:59:59PM PST on September 9th, at which point we’ll start the voting process. You will have a week to vote (until 11:59:59PM PST on September 16th), and we’ll announce results on September 19th.

Cheers,
Bertrand
Aug 26, 2011 at 11:27 PM

I will be throwing my name in the hat for candidacy.

Coordinator
Aug 26, 2011 at 11:40 PM
Edited Aug 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Thanks. I know who you are ;) but please also include your real name.

Oh, and if each candidate can maybe give a short motivation for being a candidate, such as what modules and sites you've built, that sort of thing? You're a candidate, so campaign!

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM
Edited Aug 27, 2011 at 3:12 AM

Whoops, sorry, forgot it just had an alias. I'm Chris Bower

Candidacy motivation

• Lead development of http://aclj.org - based entirely on Orchard - during which time I've learned the ins and outs of the framework and developed a really solid understanding of how Orchard ticks. Doing so involved:
    • Performance tuning our Orchard installation to handle thousands of visitors an hour with <2 second response times
    • 30+ custom modules including a shape-level caching system, a member system designed to handle millions of members, and a background task module that overrides default behavior to allow background tasks to operate in isolation
  • Blogged about my Orchard discoveries at http://chrisbower.com
  • Maintained & active on the #orchard IRC channel
Aug 27, 2011 at 4:42 AM

Bertrand, Sébastien and Chris, you have my vote! I would also love to volunteer, my name is Drew Cain.  Here is a little about me: http://www.linkedin.com/in/mistercain  I don't have a reference implementation live yet, but I should have 2 up by the end of the year; I am working on these in my spare time.  I am passionate about Orchard and want to see it become the leading open source CMS solution for the Microsoft platform.  

Why you should vote for me:

* I'm active in the community
* I've worked with a lot of different CMS platforms including DotNetNuke, WordPress, Concrete5, etc and have written parts of a large custom CMS for my current company that is tailored to the auto industry (see http://www.clickmotive.com).
* I have a strong background in hosting and infrastructure and will take great care of those concerns!

I look forward to humbly serving the community if elected.

Thanks,
Drew 

Developer
Aug 27, 2011 at 12:46 PM
Edited Aug 28, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Hi All, Im Nicholas Mayne. I would also like to throw my hand in for nomination...

Nick

Developer
Aug 27, 2011 at 3:04 PM

I am Antoine Griffard. 

I am interested in Orchard since the beginning.
I created my site in January : http://antoinegriffard.com/ 
I try to participate to the codeplex Discussions and Issue Tracker for Orchard and other modules, even if I often post more questions than answers ;-)
I also try to propose some French translations of modules for http://orchardproject.net/localize 
I contributed to a dozen of modules in gallery : http://orchardproject.net/gallery/List/Search?searchTerm=author%3A%20Wygwam
I submitted entry for the Orchard Module Challenge : http://www.orchardproject.net/omc/Contest/Browse

I would like to participate more to help to enhance the Orchard community and may be to initiate a French community.

I am a .NET developper in a French company : Wygwam
I have 7 years of experience on .NET Platform.
I have been Microsoft MVP, co-writed 2 books on .NET.
I earned some Microsoft certifications : MCPD Web Developper 4
I developed many sites with content management administration.
I am interested by any .NET CMS and open source projects.

PS : @Bertrand : Watch out, it's not a good year for dictators, even if Orchard is a Revolution in CMS world.   

Developer
Aug 27, 2011 at 3:48 PM
Edited Aug 27, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Hi Everyone!

Nice to see all of you guys willing to participate in this project - you have my vote too! Being a long-time Orchard lover, I'd also love to join the Commitee:)

My name is Piotr Szmyd. Professionally, I'm an IT architect and developer specializing in web applications (MCP/MCTS/MCPD/MCITP). From the very beginning I'm trying to spread the word about Orchard as a perfect starting point for building complex ASP.NET MVC applications, whether commercial or not. What I managed to do since then?

• Built and released the first Orchard module for building complex menus - Advanced Menu. At this moment it's currently the most downloaded custom module in the Gallery with over 9000 downloads overall.
  • Won the Orchard Module Challenge with the mentioned Advanced Menu module!
  • Released a number of other useful and popular modules, including:
    • Silverlight for Orchard - for adding SL content to your websites
    • AddThis Content Sharing - adding an easy way to share your content using AddThis service
    • Code Generation Extensions - for scaffolding Content Parts and settings via CLI
    • Content Authorization - allowing developers to easily add custom authorization logic for CRUD and retrieval operations on content items 
    • Facebook Connect - simple module for wiring Orchard accounts with Facebook ones
    • Razor Templates (TBA - with Orchard 1.3 release) - allowing you to add dynamic content to your content items using Razor syntax (manageable via GUI at runtime!)
  • Set up a Jumpstart module project on Codeplex to help new developers start working with Orchard
  • In the free time - running blog, mainly about Orchard development - www.szmyd.com.pl (which runs on Orchard, obviously:)
  • Work on a number of Orchard-based commercial projects (one of which, the Polish examination platform for law and medical professionals, has recently aired - www.proligence.pl), during which I managed to create tens of custom modules using and/or extending almost every piece of Orchard code
  • Actively participate in Orchard-related discussions on Codeplex, StackOverflow and #orchardcms Twitter tag
  • Lots of other activities, involving speeches and hands-on workshops at Warsaw University (Warsaw/Poland) - during IT Academic Days, student meetings, Microsoft Student Partner annual meetings and such

I'd be honored to be a part of such an exciting project! If elected I will, of course, do my best to serve the community well and help make Orchard the best choice for an ASP.NET MVC web application base.

- Piotr

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM

My name is Pedro Costa, i'm not currently to active on the community but have been following Orchard for a few months, have worked with the source and have a local version running from source enlistment. Have not contributed anything yet, but am looking to start.

I built a bespoke .net commerce and cms platform that is now running over 20 sites, which I support for a day job. You can find out more about me here http://www.linkedin.com/in/pnmcosta

Am on the process of migrating my site www.pmcosta.pt to orchard from wordpress and have a few others lined up.

I'd be honoured to be part of the project and get involved in helping build new features and apply to the commitee.

Developer
Aug 28, 2011 at 12:40 PM
agriffard wrote:

PS : @Bertrand : Watch out, it's not a good year for dictators, even if Orchard is a Revolution in CMS world.   

lol!!

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Looks like there's a good list of candidates forming up - that's great to see! My name is Kevin Kuebler, and I'd like to include my name for consideration also.

I've been a developer in the Microsoft ecosystem for almost 15 years, and currently work as a lead developer for NimblePros where I've been leading all of our efforts around Orchard. Specifically, I've been involved in the following:

• Working closely with the core team, I led the development of the Orchard Gallery and NuGet sites. Both sites are powered by Orchard and a custom module which is available on Codeplex.
  • Created the Microsoft JobsBlog site on Orchard for the Microsoft Careers group.
  • Assisted some of my teammates from NimblePros in creating a new website for the Euclid Beach Park Now non-profit organization. The site was entirely built using Orchard in a weekend at the 2011 Cleveland GiveCamp.
  • Released the Reviews module on the Orchard Gallery
  • Released the Featured Item Slider module on the Orchard Gallery
  • Have other Orchard modules and sites in the works which have not been released yet
  • Currently creating an introductory Orchard course for Pluralsight, which should be released sometime in the next two weeks.

In addition, I'm active in the Orchard discussion forums here on Codeplex as well as the #orchardcms tag on Twitter. I also speak about Orchard at our local .Net developer groups in the Cleveland, OH (U.S.)  area. I too would be honored to serve on the committee and would love to contribute to the community in this way. Thank you!

Kevin

Coordinator
Sep 2, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Hi all,

We'll start voting in 12 hours. Here is how this will work...

I will start a new thread at midnight with the final list of candidates, in an order that I will have randomized. You will have the choice of voting publicly by replying to this post, or if you don't want to cast your vote publicly, you will have the option of sending it to Louis (who is not a candidate) by e-mail. At the end of next week, Louis will only give the list of voters, and the list of votes, randomized, on this forum. We'll combine that with the public votes, count and declare winners.

You will be able to cast 5 votes (as many as there are seats) on your preferred candidates. You can cast more than one vote on any given candidate, but the total must be less than 5.

Only votes cast by a CodePlex user who has posted at least one message (starting a thread or answering one) will be counted.

The newly elected steering committee's first task will be to elect the Benevolent Dictator. Its second task will be to find a less bureaucratic name for itself :)

Thanks,

Bertrand

Coordinator
Sep 2, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Yes, I forgot to mention, I moved the date for the vote to happen one week earlier. If you wanted to be a candidate but need more time, let me know.

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:17 PM
bertrandleroy wrote:
people who have CodePlex accounts and who have posted at least once on the Orchard discussions

Does posting to the Issue Tracker count, or only to the Discusssions forum?

Coordinator
Sep 8, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Issue tracker is just as fine, yes.

Coordinator
Jan 18, 2013 at 4:44 AM

To the spammer who publishes here every day: go away.