newbe - Module to display chart data from our Oracle DB

Topics: Writing modules
Aug 25, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I have been learning MVC for a short time, and have no experience developing modules for Orchard.

I have had a brief look at the Orchard module development docs.

My question is...... Is it possible to develop an Orchard module that gets it data from an Oracle database.

We would like to use Orchard for our company website, but we would like to create a model that displays charts. The chart series data would be extracted from our Oracle DB.

Is this possible?

My understanding is that all Module data comes from the Orchard SQL DB using Nhibernate.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Paul.

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:11 PM

An Orchard module is really just an MVC project, so you can do pretty much anything you want in there. Orchard does use Nhibernate for it's data access as you said, so you could use that to get data from the Oracle db. Usually, when developing modules for Orchard you don't work with Nhibernate directly because it's all abstracted, but you do have access to it and could use it directly.

Another option would be to put some sort of service interface (outside of Orchard) in front of the Oracle database. So your module could just call out to that service to get the data - it doesn't need to know or care that it's coming from Oracle.

Coordinator
Aug 25, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Any data access is fine really. The only constraint is that you will have to opt out of the ambient Orchard transaction when you access the Oracle database.

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly:)

Please could you explain what 'opt out of ambient Orchard transaction' means.

Also.... Please could someone point me in the right direction re. Tutorial on developing a module that gets its data from an external source.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Paul.

Coordinator
Aug 26, 2011 at 9:15 AM

If you make a search on that, you'll find a few threads, for example: http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/266506

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Thanks for the pointer re. opt out of the ambient Orchard transaction.

I'm just starting out with Orchard. Looks like there's a lot to learn.

Thanks for your help.

Speak to you soon (no doubt).

Regards,

Paul.