advice on message system

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Troubleshooting, Writing modules
Aug 24, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Currently i'm building an system where users can send and receive message to each other. The one thing i'm not sure if it is smart to create a content item for each message there's is sent. This because this can be a few millions.So what's you advice on this one. Create content items or only records for each message?

Developer
Aug 24, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Databases should be able to scale for millions of records, so the amount should not be the problem.

So what are you looking at?

A Discussion Part

A Response Part

A discussion contains a collection of responses

A Response is attached to a User Part

I think this should be fine. This will also allow you to do stuff like show history etc...

Most big systems contain clean up processes, so you would have a class that implements IBackgroundWorkerProcess (i think its called in Orchard) to archive off all responses that are '30' days old for example.

Hope this helps.

Coordinator
Aug 24, 2011 at 6:27 PM

It should really be determined by usage: if your messages need to be extended by parts, use content items. If they are fairly simple objects that won't benefit from added parts, do simple records.

Developer
Aug 24, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Absolutly it should be determined by usage.

Coordinator
Aug 25, 2011 at 7:07 AM

There is a module for that on the gallery

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:16 PM

@sebastienros: Which module do you mean? can't find it.

Coordinator
Oct 23, 2011 at 9:13 PM

this one: http://orchardproject.net/gallery/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Contrib.ContactUser