Delay for content after Import

Topics: Administration, General, Writing modules
Aug 17, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I noticed there is a latency after importing content with the import export module before the content is available to be viewed by its routable url. I thought this was only affecting my own module, but I just did an experiment using Pages. I created a series of standard Orchard pages and exported them to an XML file. I deleted everything in my App_Data and restarted Orchard. I initialized the installation, then went into Modules to enable Import and Export. I then Imported the XML file I had previously exported. When I go to Content in my dashboard I see the Pages I just imported listed. However, if I click View and try to bring up a page by its Routable URL Like http://localhost/orchard/page-2 I get a 404 error. However, if I wait a few minutes and then refresh the page displays correctly.

Is there some kind of delayed import recipe handler or something going on? Can I control this? How do I explain this to my users? What is the longest latency I may face?

Coordinator
Aug 22, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Importing is an asynchronous task, yes, which explains the delay. The delay depends on the size of the data you're importing but a few minutes would be a typical wait.