Deploying to Shared Hosting - Assembly Reference Error

Topics: Installing Orchard
Aug 17, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Hi all,

I've been playing with Orchard for a few weeks and in have been getting on ok. I've just tried to deploy it to my shared hosting provider from scratch (which I have done once before), and I'm getting the following error:

The type or namespace name 'Mvc' does not exist in the namespace 'Orchard' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

I've checked the root bin folder and all the dll's I would expect are in there (including Orchard.Core, Orchard.Framework etc). I've tried to recycle the app pool a couple of times with no luck.

I've built my site from the full source zip file, used the VS2010 publish command (Release mode) to publish it to a local folder and then transferred everything using FileZilla. Everything transferred fine according to FileZilla, and the files look fine fine on the server.

Any clues?

Thanks

Matt

Aug 17, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Forget this - whilst it appeared all the files had transferred properly, some clearly hadn't! I ftp'd the bin folder over again and its appeared to resolve the problem.

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I have had this issue too. What I noticed is that Filezilla has a specific tab at the bottom of the window called "Failed Transfers". Usually, selecting all the files in that tab and re-submitting them for transfer in the right click menu solves the problem.

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Do the files in the src and lib dirs need to be on the root directory of the shared host?  Or can you unpack the .zip in the root which creates a lib and src dir?  I tried the latter first, leaving the default welcome.html in place and Orchard doesn't load.

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2011 at 8:15 PM

No, only src\Orchard.Web needs to be copied to the root of the site.