Own source files within Orchard source directory?

Topics: General, Writing modules, Writing themes
Aug 16, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Hi all!

If I follow the instructions from here: http://orchardproject.net/docs/Setting-up-a-source-enlistment.ashx in the end I get a directory that has all the Orchard source files and is under version control. This is great, but what if the solution file gets modified (e.g. if I make a new folder)? What is the best practice to organize own source code and Orchard source, both with version control? For example I would like to commit my own modules to an SVN repo, but I suppose nesting various version controller folders becomes a mess? Anyone has some experience with this scenario?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:59 PM

The solution file is indeed a bummer, but in my experience it's been easy to merge, and that's the only file that presents such a problem. Just make sure to never include it in a pull request.

For my own modules, I have local Hg repositories for each. Mercurial knows how to stop when it sees a sub-repo so all works pretty well. Kind of optimally I'd say, as far as I'm concerned. Not sure if you're using something else than Hg, such as SVN but I suppose adding that directory to Mercurial's exclusion file would do the trick.

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Thanks for your reply!

That's the way I would definitely take. However with newer versions of Mercurial SVN subrepos are no problem anymore, but I think I will stick with Mercurial.