MY Experience with Orchard

Topics: General
Aug 13, 2011 at 7:04 AM
Edited Aug 13, 2011 at 7:08 AM

First, I really like the cms concept and pluggable architecture.   

At the same time, I kept running into website failures whenever I make any changes to some content items.

Therefore, I think that the orchard project need a better error handling.

The other suggestion is related to a performance.  Although I understand thta it is is pretty optimized, I think that there is a room to improve.

I will be hesitant to use the orchard in a real world business until I see more progress in the two areas I mentioned.

I think that the project has a great potential and I plan to closely follow the project.

Thanks.

Coordinator
Aug 13, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

In regard to the error handling, please go on and explain what you are missing. It could give some module ideas to contributors. Depends what you would like. For instance we have seen some sites running with El;mah, and I also have seen a module on the gallery to display the logs from the Dashboard.

About the performance, we have already identified some pitfalls that will be fixed for the next release (memory consumption, query helpers to optimize db access), like db caching (there is a module for that now), there is also a module for Output caching. There is also the Warmup module which can help you for appdomain restarts.

Again if you have a specific scenario in mind, don't hesitate to share it, because there might be an already existing solution, or we might be able to find one.

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Many changes in content types and widgets tend to corrupt the database over time.  Thus, those corrupted data paralized the websites and I had to start from scratch.  It will be really nice to have a menu or button that allows "UNDO" any change that caused problem. 

Some of the issues I had with my shared hosting environment was mostly related to a medium trust mode.

For example, the orchrd also complained about an assess to mapping.bin file.

I look forward to the enhancement you metioned ablove. 

Thanks.