Clean up after changing namespace for a module?

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard, Writing modules
Aug 9, 2011 at 11:51 PM

I started playing with Orchard and created a custom module. I installed it on a test server we were using. People have created content on the test server using the original module. Later, I fixed up the module and cleaned up the namespaces it uses. (of course you all know what is coming next...)

Now I want to deploy the updated and improved version of the module which has a different namespace. My questions are "what is going to break? and how do I fix it?"

I know that the table Orchard_Framework_DataMigrationRecord uses the namespace in the fully qualified class name that is stored in DataMigratonClass to track data migration versions. I know how to fix that. Is there anything else that may break if I update a module and the updated version uses different namespaces?

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Unfortunately, I don't know and I don't think you can know until you try. I would be very interested in what you find though.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Everything seems to be working for me after the update. The one issue was that I had to rename the DataMigrationClass value in Orchard_Framework_DataMigrationRecord for my module. Once renamed, Orchard told me my module need to be updated (I assume because it couldn't find the migration version for the original module). I then installed my upgraded module, enabled it, and updated it and everything worked fine. (So far).