Lag in Loading Page

Topics: General
Aug 8, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Has anyone run the project trying to load a simple HelloWorld page or even just the basic home page that Orchard sets up and it takes over 3 minutes before the page gets rendered?  It didn't happen before but suddenly today it does that after I had to reset my virtual machine, reloaded the project and recreated the HelloWorld module.  I'm not sure if it's the connection to the database or what, but how can I fix this?  I thought it was my machine so I restarted but it's still doing the same thing.

Thank you

Coordinator
Aug 8, 2011 at 11:02 PM

That's clearly not right. You might need to do some profiling. Are you running in full trust, release mode?

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Clearly it's not right b/c it wasn't doing that last time I got it working.  How can I check and what do I need to make that change?  Thank you

Coordinator
Aug 8, 2011 at 11:22 PM

I made three suggestions above. Full trust can be checked in web.config. Release mode is the compilation mode in visual studio. Profiling means using a tool such as JetBrains DotTrace to figure out where all that time is spent.

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Ah!  I'm new so thank you for the patience :)

Coordinator
Aug 8, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Of course. It's hard to figure out what's wrong from where I'm standing so I can only shoot at random for most common causes for this sort of thing. 3 minutes? That's crazy.

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Yeah...sometimes longer :)  It wasn't doing that last week when you were helping me getting the HelloWorld up and running.  Now I got some things together and I wanted to try but it's lagging.  I updated the VMWare machine with VS2010 Sp1.  I deleted the database and the Orchard source.  I did everything from scratch and from my VMWare machine, I remapped the project folder, located on my Host Machine.  I loaded the Orchard project in VS off of the "mapped" drive, which is on my host machine, so I'm not sure why it's still lagging.  I know VS has a problem with loading projects off of network shares but I wonder why it didn't happen last week.  Could it be the SP1?  If I can't fix this, then I'll just load it into the "local" drive of the machine and synchronize files I guess. :(  Thanks for your help.

Coordinator
Aug 9, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Maybe. Running it from a share has been known to have that sort of result in some cases, although I'm not sure what exactly. Running from a share is a fairly common setup at hosters, and it works well as  far as I know.